Info on how to grow Mint

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plant it, and spend the rest of your days pulling it up... No kidding it is very invasive. I recommend growing it in a pot. It will take over the world, if left unchecked. Enjoy!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have mine in a rectangular planter. It likes to be kept moist and is in a partial shady spot on my deck. This was the only place I had for it. It grows very well. It is very invasive when planted in the ground because of it's runners.

mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Plant it, and spend the rest of your days pulling it up... No kidding it is very invasive. I recommend growing it in a pot. It will take over the world, if left unchecked. Enjoy!
You are too funny! You should write the growing tips on the back of seed packets. "The HONEST way to grow this is..." :lol:

P.s.- :welcome Beans & Corn

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A couple of suggestions.

1. You can get a large heavy duty plastic pot or an old 5 gallon bucket. Bury it to about 4-6 inches above ground and plant mint inside.

2. Do the same process but used wood planks instead.

Basically you want to prevent the roots from spreading and if you trim the plant then this should prevent stems from falling over and rooting.

Peppermint Mentha piperita, unless you're looking for something else, is a good alternative that does not self seed as easily spearmint M. spicata . Also lemon balm Melissa officinalis is another good alternative other mints, but has a slightly different flavor, since it too doesn't seed as readily.

Hope this helps.

Carlos

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What I could really use is info on how to get mint to STOP growing, LOL

Seriously, unless you are in the desert, once mint gets started, it will just keep right on rolling without any work on your part, like it or not :)

Pat

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The lady at the nursery warned me about how invasive it was and to grow it in a pot...
All I did was email her and ask her if they would have any this year :lol: