Injured wild birds, when to euth?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found a wild black bird hung up in a tree. When I looked up at it, I saw some red and told it that I hope it wasn't bleeding. But on my way to get a ladder, I spotted blood spots, confirmed when I got up to it. :(
I got him down and untangled him, but once level, he started to have seizures, crap! But he kept his head up and was breathing, so I got him some water. Beak got rinsed out, but don't think he really drank any.
Unfortunately, he had another seizure when I got him into a pen and then a quick 'death-throw' and he was gone. :(

So now I'm wondering, if I find any more birds like him, upside-down and bleeding, should I bother trying to save them or should I put them out of their misery?

These guys live in the area and have their unruly babies in the pine trees. I stopped saving the babies, they always fell back out almost as if just to spite me! And them nor their parents were grateful. I guess they don't mind cats and dogs eating their young. =/

Anyway, now that I use net wrap hay bales, I'm sure there might be more accidental casualties from bits of net lost or not noticed, so need to know what you guys would do. Now that I think about it more, I think there were too many droplets of blood for such a small bird, should of been obvious he wouldn't make it.

I don't think they've started nesting yet, hopefully he had no eggs to care for. :(

RIP annoying little black bird.
2016-04-19 12.47.29.jpg 20160419_122827-1.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I'm pretty sure it's a starling and they are a nuisance bird, introduced from Europe and invasive to natural species. Look for greenish and blackish tail feathers.
Euthanize him, so that a local cat doesn't torture him to death.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know about wild birds, but I know that my chickens can go through quite a bit and come out fine.
I don't know that I would have tried to save it since it was bleeding and infection would almost surely have come along soon. But - if you find one that is just tangled or appears to be in shock from some trauma you can always just move it to a small, quiet place and provide it with water. If it looks like it might try, offer it whatever it's normal food would be. I've had chickens just sit and stare for days then suddenly get up and start scratching and pecking.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
the only time i have had an issue with baby birds was a couple years ago when we cut a tree that had some goldfinch babies still clinging onto the nest survive the fall. i cut the branch & attached it to a staghorn nearby & a couple days i noticed the parent birds returned for them. the babies were about a week old when i found them so within a week or so they flew off when fledged. or so i hoped.

that looks like what i think is a starling. so if it is, one less to be a nuisance to the other natives in the area. but now that i look them up it could be a common grackle. did it have yellow eyes or were they mostly black/dark brown?

Last edited:

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not going to kill any animal, invasive or not, if it's got a chance to recover. Might just be me, though. =/

Took these the other day of one of the many out here. Looks like several similar birds. I say black bird as generic, it's black=black bird, lol.
DSC_0067.jpg
DSC_0072.jpg
DSC_0075.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Common Grackle seems most similar and sound closest to what I hear all day long.

Latest posts