Insect Hotels

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now that's something! Something special for each insect critter!

5 STAR *****

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I see solitary bees in my garden but I haven't been able to get any to move into what I offered them. I think perhaps my soil is too sandy for them to be able to seal the ends of the tubes. There is no clay close by. I have a lot more luck with burrowing wasps who keep my caterpillars under control. Army worms and cutworms seem to be their favorite prey. Cabbage worms get worked over pretty good by the yellow jackets.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
How fun are they? I hung a mason bee house, years ago- and failed to attract even one....

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think it needs to be all that big and fancy. Salamanders seem to enjoy the cheap half a star hotels under a loosely placed piece of half rotted wood, and the bumblebees would so enjoy a sleepy night under the stars on a coneflower.

But, just like myself, never standing a chance of being in a 5 star hotel, it's still nice to know they exist, and see pictures of them!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lesa, we hung a mason bee house also and didn't get a single one either - I think the insect hotels would add interest to the garden tho.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh those are so cool!! That really apeals to my I-can't-throw-this-away-because-I-might-use-it-for-something-someday!! Whether any bees, or other critters moved in, it sure would make a fun project for me and my grand daughter! Plus, it would make a attractive-in-a-weird-way garden decoration. :throw

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of those are pretty neat looking. I agree Joan, they'd be an interesting focal point in the garden even if you didn't get bees to nest in them.

Latest posts