Inside Starts, Yours & Mine

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall yelled at me the last time I responded too casually about my transplanting techniques.

I am very, very careful. They stay right in that flat until they go into a garden bed. The plants must scarcely know they have been moved, I am so conscientious.

Yes, they are really crowded aren't they?

Steve
Well this makes me feel better sort of, but I am confused. I have bok-choy, several different plantings of it. The first one, I was worried they were too leggy, so I took just one and transplanted it and put it up close to the light just to see if it would do better than the others and it did, so transplanting did not hurt it, but there are so many and I was thinking of just taking the best and transplanting them, but should I just put them in the ground? I have some younger ones and they look better. They are outside now under the sawhorse greenhouse. I think they would live in the garden with plastic over them. Is that a good idea?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's where these will go, GWR.

I have set up the hoop house over the 2 beds by this time, often. Starting the bok choy in the flat allows me to procrastinate a little longer this year. The greenhouse heat will go on this week so things will be more comfortable than the hoop house, and I've got 8 to 10 more excuses if I'm hard pressed! Bok choy, like most others in the family, transplant well.

Steve
nursing a springtime cold, kof, oooh.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's where these will go, GWR.

I have set up the hoop house over the 2 beds by this time, often. Starting the bok choy in the flat allows me to procrastinate a little longer this year. The greenhouse heat will go on this week so things will be more comfortable than the hoop house, and I've got 8 to 10 more excuses if I'm hard pressed! Bok choy, like most others in the family, transplant well.

Steve
nursing a springtime cold, kof, oooh.

Okay, now I understand. This is my first bok-choy. I wonder if there is such a thing as too much bok-choy? I need to get moving faster! I hope you feel better soon!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the house, the thermostat is in control. Here is a little example of how this was not true in my greenhouse yesterday. It was the first few hours for the seedlings to visit :).

At 11am it was 40°f outdoors and the greenhouse had just hit 70° - out they went! It was windy out so I tried to keep my speed up between the backdoor and the greenhouse.

I opened the vent high on the west wall. It allows some warm air to escape because I knew what the sun is capable of. At 11:30am, the thermometer showed that the greenhouse was nearly 90°! Now the small vent in the east wall was opened. That is the exhaust fan but I didn't turn that fan on. Outdoors, it sure hadn't warmed much in 30 minutes!

At 12:30pm, I "cracked open" the door. I'm still doing everything I can to keep the greenhouse in the 70's but it is only 43° outside that door! I accomplished what was needed with an afternoon high of 47°. By 5pm, the seedlings were all back in the house.

Today, there won't be any sunshine. Predicted high is 50° and it was 32° overnight. Right now, the greenhouse is 40° and if I don't turn on the furnace out there, it won't be any warmer in there than the afternoon high.

Since I still have some room here in the South Window for me and the plants - I think they had better stay here today. Maybe another visit tomorrow and it may be a good day to see if the furnace works.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
At 11am it was 40°f outdoors and the greenhouse had just hit 70° - out they went! It was windy out so I tried to keep my speed up between the backdoor and the greenhouse.
Steve

This explains your success. I did not even look under the plastic on the sawhorse. :hide It was cloudy and I thought I would bring them in, but I was busy and then it rained, and now it is dark. I am going out with the flashlight and check things. I do think I am bringing in the cabbage for the night, if it is still alive. :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right now, I have fired up the furnace in the greenhouse for the 1st time in about 40 weeks! Yeah, I was 20 yards away when it hit "ignite."

There is only a 30% chance of snow today and there should be some afternoon sun. Whatever the case, I am running out of room in the South Window! Besides, there are some pepper plants that simply must be moved out of their community container soon! If I don't think I've got room for them now, just wait until I do that.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
We need SUN!:pop i am not sure what to do today. I checked things outside and they are okay. I brought the cabbage in last night and forgot some are cauliflower. My red cabbage looks okay, not many and of green and I might have 2 worth saving.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There has been beaucoup sunshine coming through the South Window today, GWR.

The problem is that I cannot get all the plants into it.

I hope @Collector is making good use of that big cold frame he built. The little one I had years ago was just too small and with too little air volume. It might have made a good solar oven for me.

Something good about a south window in a building. The temperature of the entire building changes very little from any but the very largest of windows in sunlight or darkness, for that matter.

Who was it who used a basement window well?

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

You can click on the pic! I think you might be pleased with the song for the morning . . :)

There are several more cookie boxes on the washing machine, quite a few on top the fridge, and flats of onions & cabbage family in the 33° greenhouse here at dawn. I'll get that furnace on in a minute and move many of these out. There's only really room for about 8 boxes (& me ;)) here in the South Window.

Steve

Latest posts