Intercropping

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this, or, have information on it?

The example that I read was Corn being planted, with peas being planted right next to each stalk so they could grow up it, with pumpkins planted at the base to keep the weeds down.

I have corn in now and I was thinking of atleast trying the peas, and maybe the pumpkins or watermelon.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Thanks. :)

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:cool:I planted corn, pole beans and squash this year. From what I have read it is called the "three sisters" and comes from Native Americans. This is the first year I have tried it, but my corn and beans look great. The corn supports the beans, the beans fix nitrogen on it's roots and feeds the corn and the squash shades the corn and beans keeping weeds down. So far my corn is about 3 feet high and the beans are climbing the corn as it grows. The squash is just now coming on.

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm not growing the pole beans by my corn as I'm growing all my beans on a vertical trellis. However, I am going to grow 'Pumpkin Pie' pumkins in the corn patch.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did the 3 sisters this year and it is all about placement.

I planted my corn in 3 rows in an 8 x 4 raised with the beans next to it about two weeks later. In between the rows I planted some sweet dumplings winter squash.

The results are the inner row is not spaced far enough for me to crawl into. And no beans never really grew in that inner row. The ones that did got tangled with the next rows so I could not really get in there anyway. The only beans that grew were on the outside of the rows. The winter squash that grew was one that was located near the outside as well. The squash did some climbing on the corn. And now that outside row of corn is being strangled by winter squash, beans, and my monster cuke vine from the next bed.

I think it would work in a bigger garden with more space to allow light to filter through the rows and with careful placement. Maybe a squash that is not so vining.

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've been reading up on the "Three Sisters" and it says the corn should be at least 4 inches tall.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am doing the 3 sisters garden too.... corn in mounds (circles rather then rows) and I have beans growing up them. I didn't plant the beans until the corn was 12" tall... and I think that is the best hieght with how fast the beans are growing!

Instead of squash at the bottom... I planted watermelon. We'll see how well that does. :hu

Latest posts