Interesting article...tomato blight

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It was HORRIBLE this year!!!! I read many stories about it, and even NCSU made mention it was popping up everywhere here (while diagnosing my downy mildew here.) I had early blight first which spread to my potatoes on the other side of the garden... ect... so on... so forth! It was not pretty. However, I found an AWESOME fungal treatment that got it under control in the garden. I added thick mulch (which later added to cracked tomatoes) and it got the fungus well controlled. I still spray every now and then to make sure the fungus stays in control.

Let me find the info I shared on my blog about it for you, it has more detail and the best product I found!

http://fromseed.blogspot.com/2009/06/invasion-of-blight.html

Ps... I just burned my tomato plants. Also, this does not spread by air... it comes to the tomato from the soil that is it in, that is where the fungus sits in wait until a good rain makes it jump up on the bottom of your plants and spreads. Have patience and you may not lose all your tomatoes!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
exactly VFEM that is why I am so worried about my tomatoes right now ..we have had a long hot summer and this week now that the rains have started ...well this is what happens here sadly I have seen it before and right when they start to turn you loose everything

I am just hoping with all my heart I do not have this in my soil now but who knows it is very common here and the reason we get so excited in Western WA when a good year of tomatoes happens

Gardening while very rewarding at times can be a very cruel lover you know !!!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been lucky this year with tomatoes as far as blight goes but my brother on the Cumberland Plateau in East Central Tennessee said the blight had wiped him out and many of his neighbors as well. I mulched mine early with newspaper covered with year old wood chips. Maybe that made a difference.

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
I've been lucky this year with tomatoes as far as blight goes but my brother on the Cumberland Plateau in East Central Tennessee said the blight had wiped him out and many of his neighbors as well. I mulched mine early with newspaper covered with year old wood chips. Maybe that made a difference.
I have read on here and several other sites that the key is mulching. To prevent the soil from splashing up on your plants...lesson learned :he Hope your luck continues :D

insiderart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You should not be seeing any more trouble from late blight once it warms up and dries out. Late blight likes it cool and moist.