Interesting day

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My day started with son calling from the living room to ask if we were up. It was so much earlier then he usually arrives when he comes to work that I was surprised. Both spouse and I were up, dressed, and ready to leave for breakfast when I found out why he was so early.

It seems that he'd gotten a ride with a friend early this morning to 'steal' our car so he could drive the Grands to school. Why ever would he need to take our car when he was driving our truck almost 24/7 for the past 4 years?

It seems that a friend of his wife called to say that she had been beaten up by her boyfriend, had gone to her father's house, but that he had left for Florida. My son drove to her father's apartment to be sure she didn't need to go to the hospital, made a legal report, and was safe. While he was there, the boyfriend returned and slashed all four of the (8 week old) tires on my truck. . . . the reason son needed to use my car.

That meant calling for new tires and pricing as soon as the stores opened. My best price, $100 cheaper than the next estimate, meant an additional 2 hour drive back and forth as son intended to remove two tires at a time, get the new tires on the rims, put the new tires on, and take the next pair off for replacement. None of the stores had my tires in stock, however, and wouldn't get them until late in the afternoon.

The closest tire store did have a set of four used tires for a fair price. We went with the (good) used tires because we were going into summer rather than winter and because I wasn't sure the creep wouldn't be back for another round.

While no one saw the slasher doing the deed, there is an eye witness to seeing him in the parking lot near the truck at the time. Whether that will be enough to take him to court for damages is something I still don't know. I haven't heard anything from the police yet. As the owner of a vandalized vehicle, I really expected they would have gotten in touch with me today.

We shall wait and see.

Spouse and I stopped at the post office when we went to town to get him a haircut. Of all the mail, spouse was trying to open one letter in particular and I wondered what drew him to that piece. Ah-ha! The attorney's office of my neighbor had spouse's attention.

I was actually surprised that the newest 'demand' was relatively reasonable. The neighbor had repeatedly demanded that I pay half of the survey he had gotten to prove that I was stealing his land. That is what I expected the attorney to ask and that is what I fully intended to fight since it proved I was no where near his land, and indeed, he was 'stealing' our land. The attorney's letter, however, requested only that we pay half the cost of the line survey marking the boundary which is a couple of thousand dollars less than the full cost of a survey.

I need to consider the offer a bit since, the cost of doing a survey showing only the judge's orders should be less than the cost of surveying the whole boundary line, and I may make a counter offer, but I suspect we will come to a relatively amiable solution to this aspect of our problems.

Despite the day's happenings, spouse and I had a good day and a good day for us is something to crow about.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, that is a wild day. Domestic violence can be a volatile and dangerous situation. That was very brave and noble of him to see to the young lady's welfare. I am sorry your new tires were vandalized, but glad your son was not personally threatened or harmed.

Ray

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Your going to need to look into local state laws for the truck and as for the "boyfriend" he is nether man or boy but a rabed dog that should be treated as such put down with the biggest gun she can find and left in a ditch I would never lay hands on my wife we may scream tell we both blue in the face but we won't hit each other but let someone try to hit her and they will pay dearly.At least it was only the tires got cut it could have been just as easy been someone that y'all care for and it's people like the "boyfriend" that I don't leave home without my pistol and permeant and I would ask that you don't leave home without one to at least until the hot head is behind bars

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry Red but unless You can find someone to say they saw him slash the tires your out of luck. Just being in area is not good enough legally. Always check CL I have bought almost new tires on it.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh man, I feel for you and your family, Red. Please make sure your son is especially careful and aware of his surroundings.
I don't feel quite as strongly as Ray does about how to deal with guys like this, but I agree, violent men should be stopped. Maybe court ordered injections of estrogen and progesterone? Gotta over ride that T.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Small claims court? Civil lawsuit? I just don't know anything about this sort of thing. Boyfriend is a creep, your son is the product of the excellent raising he received. :bow

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't expect much to be done at all. Perhaps a bench warrant. He'll have to be caught doing something else wrong in Illinois for the warrant to be executed and nothing will happen here in Wisconsin. Slashing tires is considered an non-violent offense in Illinois so no one is going across state lines to prosecute.

He might be in trouble for the assault regardless of which state has jurisdiction, but even that I'm not sure of. Then, if he's still on probation for the last assault (90 days for swinging a 2x4 and connecting with her head) he may get into further trouble. Not something I'm knowledgable with, PTL.

I would dearly love to walk into the tavern where his friend meet and loudly ask him how stealing food and meds from senior citizens makes him a big man. Take 80 YO spouse and a cane and babushka for myself to demean him in front of his friends. He doesn't know the truck didn't belong to my son, but two these two old 'needy' folks.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would put a target on your son. I can hear him now, little baby has to send his mommy to defend him....

If your son wants damages, it will not come easy.

Latest posts