Introducing... (PIX)

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Introductionemail.jpg

There are two doelings, and one buckling.
One of the doelings looks just like her mom!!

The babies were born on Friday 4-1-11. This was Shadow's fouth kidding, but... she had never nursed her babies! They were taken from her at birth and bottle fed.

The delivery was fast, she cleaned them up, There were three of us there for the birth, when everything seemed fine, we all left Shadow and the kids to rest up from the excitement.

Two of us came back about three or four hours later, to find Shadow's udder engorged and she would kick at the kids if they tried to nurse!

GREAT!! So... we didn't have a bottle at the goat pen, made a phone call to the owner of the goats, to have her bring a bottle or two to the goat pen. She couldn't be reached. What to do? We milked out of the wonderful, yellow, sticky Colostrum. But how to get it into the kids? Hmmm...

Well in the birthing kit is a baby bulb syringe..... It was clean. So.. that is what we used to get the milk into the babies! A very slow process to be sure!!

Finally we were able to get a call through to the owner, and her sister brought over a bottle. Now we were in business!

But, none of us could really see having to bottle feed when Shadow was perfectly capable of feeding the kids. So...

Next morning Shadow and the kids were taken to the milking shed, given some grain, then we tied up one of her back legs, so if she kicked she would be in danger of falling down. After a bit of a fight, she stood still and let us "stick" the kids on her.

This moring I was able to go into the birthing pen, and she was nice and calm and let me put the kids on to nurse.
4511KidsNursingemail.jpg

We are hoping by the weekend, after four times a day being shown what is expected, the kids will be nursing on their own.

Here is Shadow..the mom
4511Shadowheademail.jpg

And here is Punkin'
4511Punkinwhandemail.jpg

Aren't baby goats just the cutest things!!

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
They sure are cute. Every time I look at baby pictures I want to get some.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, you really are tempting us into goat addiction! Is it usual that the mothers don't want to nurse? Enjoy those babies!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Yes, you really are tempting us into goat addiction! Is it usual that the mothers don't want to nurse? Enjoy those babies!
I think it is more "unusual"... There is another "show" goat from the same place as Shadow, and she did fine, but she only had one kid to feed. Maybe triplets right off the bat was a bit overwhelming for her.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing pics of all the goat babies Rebbetzin, makes me miss those days...
Shadow could be reluctant to nurse her kids if she has only been hand milked after every other freshening. To her it's a different sensation and a probably a mite rougher than hand milking. Most people don't butt the udder to get the doe to "let down"!
We had the opposite problem with our first doe. She had been a range goat, and never hand milked, and I still have scars on my hands from getting kicked and stomped by her. Not a great intro to milking for a kid (human )!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Thanks for sharing pics of all the goat babies Rebbetzin, makes me miss those days...
Shadow could be reluctant to nurse her kids if she has only been hand milked after every other freshening. To her it's a different sensation and a probably a mite rougher than hand milking. Most people don't butt the udder to get the doe to "let down"!
We had the opposite problem with our first doe. She had been a range goat, and never hand milked, and I still have scars on my hands from getting kicked and stomped by her. Not a great intro to milking for a kid (human )!
I noticed yesterday the babies have teeth already! So depending on how they latch on, it might not feel so good.

Latest posts