Introduction

prism

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Found this great forum over at BackYardChickens which I actually found from a internet search of chokecherries that lead me to a post in the hobbies forum there. Small world.

I'm married with a very energetic 13yo son. We have been living in Montana for 20 years but I grew up in NH, also living in MA and ME for a few years before moving to MT. We homeschool and stay very busy with a wide variety of interests - reading, science, gardening, cooking, dance, Lego's, Robotics, The Internet, 4H, Camp Fire USA are just a few that come to mind. We have 5 cats and tropical fish - no chickens yet. :/

I have loved gardening since childhood, spending time in the vegetable garden with my grandfather and flower garden with my grandmother. I love growing indoor houseplants as well.

I was recently selected to be a Featured Writer in Gardening on Xomba.com. I am very excited to have such a great venue to pursue my interest in writing and share my gardening experiences with others.

I look forward to learning more from everyone here on this forum and hope that I might sometimes have something worthwhile to contribute also.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! I am sure you will enjoy this forum- tons of great info! I am in zone 4- in upstate NY. Looking forward to reading your posts!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is so nice to have you be a part of TEG!

I cannot wait to read your articles and look forward to your garden adventures. It amazes me how a person of one environment may not necessarily stay in that environment (meaning East Coast to Montana).

Again, welcome!

Ron

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome, Where in Montana? I lived there for a couple years and generally loved it. I could not think of a better place to raise children. I lived in Bozeman. But man are those winters harsh!

prism

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
Welcome! I am sure you will enjoy this forum- tons of great info! I am in zone 4- in upstate NY. Looking forward to reading your posts!
Thanks lesa. I'm in zone 4 also. It's sort of a combination of zone 4 and zone 5 depending on how severe the winter is. When we first moved out here, most of the winters were fairly mild for this area. The last 6 or so years have been a bit harsher and definitely zone 4. Two years ago, we had a foot of snow in the second week of June! And it stuck around for 3 days. Wiped out a lot of warm weather crops in the gardens! Most of the garden centers were totally wiped out of tomato plants from everyone rushing out to get replacements.

Gardening in Montana is a real challenge each year. I know upstate NY is the same way. I've seen how much wet, heavy snow falls there in the winter and how cold it can get! Summers are about as short as MT summers too.

prism

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
It is so nice to have you be a part of TEG!

I cannot wait to read your articles and look forward to your garden adventures. It amazes me how a person of one environment may not necessarily stay in that environment (meaning East Coast to Montana).

Again, welcome!

Ron
Thank you, Ron!

I followed DH out to Montana with the Air Force. He retired and we decided to stay. Montana and NH have very similar environments yet have some unique differences as well.

I see you are in NM! Now that is very different than what I am used to. I know it must present a whole different set of gardening challenges.

prism

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Welcome, Where in Montana? I lived there for a couple years and generally loved it. I could not think of a better place to raise children. I lived in Bozeman. But man are those winters harsh!
Bozeman is a few hours away from me but I have visited a couple times. Beautiful area! I'm in Great Falls. Winters can be harsh but also so unpredictable. Then again, summer can be pretty unpredictable too. Definitely never a dull moment.

Latest posts