Invaded by Grasshoppers, Please HELP!!!

steffpeck

Sprout
Reaction score
We have been invaded by grasshoppers, I swear it is like biblical plague bad. You take a step and hundreds of grasshoppers go jumping from under your feet. They are starting to eat up our garden. Is there anything we can do to get rid of them or to save our garden? On the bright side, the chickens are having a blast.

Jewels19

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Diatomaceous Earth will keep those nasty bugs away! It's safe, wont harm animals or humans..They sell it at any pool supply dealer..it's very cheap too!

steffpeck

Sprout
Reaction score
Does it need to be food grade or just any DE?

Jewels19

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
steffpeck said:
Does it need to be food grade or just any DE?
I don't think it really matters..The food grade is more pure, made from fresh water, rather than salt...I don't think I use the food grade type..Mine works awesome and keeps them at bay...I also have a cat that finds herself getting into the bag or around the plants..she's not been effected by it..I might have the food grade..I dunno...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would not chance none food grade DE. They sell the foodgrade online and at MANY feed stores. I use it for the mites on my chickens, and I sprinkled some around my Peas after slugs were eating them up. Again, I wouldn't trust none food grade on my food.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Try neem! I use it on everything.

Insects "forget" to eat after they've been in contact with even traces of neem oil.

Someone did an experiment. It involved two jars, two leaves, and two grasshoppers. One leaf was sprayed with a chemical insecticide, and one with neem oil. The two grasshoppers were put in the two jars, with one leaf each.

The first grasshopper ate the leaf and died almost instantly. The grasshopper with the neem oil covered leaf did not touch the leaf and lived. At least for a few days. Eventually it starved to death.

What would you prefer? A poisonous half eaten lettuce, or an organic, untouched lettuce?
http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-insecticide.html

I have to agree with vfem - pool grade DE is not safe for humans or animals.
This DE is not the same thing as the DE used in swimming pool filters. Pool grade DE is Diatomaceous Earth produced for pool filters and it is treated with heat, causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to assume crystalline form. Pool grade DE should never be used for pest control. Swimming pool DE ranges from 60% to 70% free silica!
http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html

Jewels19

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I use the pool grade for my sunflowers and other flowers..I've not had any issues..My MIL also uses it and she has about 20 little biting dogs..lol she hasn't encountered any issues with the animals or plants..By all means, if you get the DE, use the food grade, for your own piece of mind...:thumbsup