Irrigation

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I did a search on TEG for irrigation and came up with nothing. I was surprised. So what is better for raised beds, drip irrigation, soaker hose, or making my own drippy hose? I'm going to HD this weekend to buy my irrigation. Last year I used an overhead sprinkler, well I had a lot of mildew (its really humid here), so I'm trying to do something better. Below is my garden plan for this year. Which type of irrigation would you suggest and any ideas on how to run the irrigation. The small bed at the bottom is actually not close to the fenced area and is separate and will be watered separately. Oh, and BTW, North is actually at the bottom of the page. I just figured that out a couple of weeks ago. Thanks, Melissa :D

6832_square_foot_gardening.jpg

I just realized the big gray area with the tomatoes and zucchini are supposed to be peach colored for "in the ground" planting.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always advocate avoiding overhead watering for many reasons.

Soaker hose is fine if you have plants in a singe row. Otherwise it is good to remember that there is very little lateral spread of water. Water is grvitational wanting to go down, not out.

If you cana aford a about ground sprinkler system using black pipe you can buy the heads you need for each area and switch it around year to year to suit. It is a little more initial investment, but being able to switch it up as you descover new plants is great! THere are tiny little sprinkler heads that will work for areas of carrots and drip heads for your tomatoes to avoid getting the leaves wet. Really cool.

We have 6 acres, so I have no such luxuries! I can live vicariously through you!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had pretty good results with the "weeping" hoses. The water just kind of leaks out of them. No need for the leaves to get wet at all. Running them under mulch works well.
I also have a big 55 gallon drum filled with water. This way I can hand water without running back and forth to a water source!
It seems every year after spending hours getting my irrigation set-up, the rainy period begins!
Your garden plan looks wonderful!

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wanted the weeping kind, but I don't know how to go from bed to bed after looping the weeping hose in the bed. Can a weeping hose be cut and patched just like a regular water hose?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can hook up regular hoses between the weepers, to make connections and extend the length. I have a bunch of different connectors laying around. I bought a timer- so I don't forget to turn off...

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks lesa, that's exactly what I needed to know. I will buy the weeping hose and a bunch of connectors. I can cut lengths I want and then connect it to a regular hose then back to a weeping hose from bed to bed. I also want a timer, just the little wind up one (cheaper). I can run it for 30 minutes or so in the AM and it will turn itself off. Then when I get home 30 minutes or so and I go about my business. ;)

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Have you gone to

http://secure.misterlandscaper.com/products/347-vegetablegardendripirrigationkit.aspx

and watched their installation video?

It looks like an easy install. Where they say to hook up the poly tubing to your faucet, I would run a garden hose from my water source out to my beds and then start my install from the end of that hose.

I don't know how supple the poly hose is I would try and run it from bed to bed with gentle bends at ground level and at top of beds. They have some hold downs that you and nail the poly to the top of your beds with, but I bet you can figure a cheeper way than purchasing them.

They also have 90 degree elbows you could use to come up from ground level and then across the top of your beds, but they look to get expensive fast.

I'm glad you brought this product to our attention, me thinks I like it!!!

THANX RICH

Latest posts