Is a small 5-6 hp wood chipper a good investment?

cookiesdaddy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
A new gardener here. I have so much leaves and branches from various trees in the backyard that I just hate going to waste. Can I just put branches through a chipper and outcome mulching material? or for compost?

HELP!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You certainly can (remembering chippers are incredibly loud and not the least dangerous machinery around the yard), but it would be worth finding out how much rental costs and then figuring out how many years it'd take to break even. For most people, if you can stockpile your chippables and just rent a chipper once a year, renting makes more sense than buying. Especially if you can split the cost with a neighbor.

The main reason to buy would be if you get lots of stuff on a regular basis but nowhere to store it; or have REALLY lots and lots of chippables and would like to be out there every weekend making mulch <g>

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My husband wants to rent one. We thought it was a better deal because he only wants to chip certain trees to use to mulch around the entry to our wooded area to keep the amount of trumpet vine and weeds down.

We like to use the rest of the leaves and branches to burn in our fire pit. Plus I scoop up leaves and through them into the compost as I need them to layer.

How much of a wooded lot do you have? Do you think maybe after 2 years it may sit in your shed awhile? How many days of projects for it can you say you have? If you would only use it one or 2 days a season... renting may just work... or if you have a yard FILLED and it may take at least one whole summer.... go for it!

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My husband absolutely loves his and along with the mower-they are the two most used equipment all season long. We've never regretted getting it-but after several years of ownership-he wants a BIG one!! lol

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Dh has one & loves it, I use the chips as mulch all the time. He is thinking of using it to earn a little extra money with in the neighborhood.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
homesteadmom said:
Dh has one & loves it, I use the chips as mulch all the time. He is thinking of using it to earn a little extra money with in the neighborhood.
If we could get him together with my DH and his new giant DR leaf vac/mulcher they would be in Heaven! lol

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You could hire a tree company or landscaper to come in and chip it for you once you have your debris gathered up in one place. Just tell them you want the chips when they're done. It will take them about 20-30 min. to get a substantial pile of stuff chipped as opposed to renting one and spending an entire morning getting the machine, using it, then returning it.
But then I may be bias since I have all that tree equipment. ;)

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just call and compare cost of renting plus your time vs. having a tree company come do it....

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
setter4 said:
homesteadmom said:
If we could get him together with my DH and his new giant DR leaf vac/mulcher they would be in Heaven! lol
They probobly would have a great time. Men & their toys!!LOL

Latest posts