Is it ok to grow these herbs together?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oregano is not near as invasive as mint. Yes, it spreads, but you just chop it out to keep it small.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rows would be great because I am a traditional row garden person. There is a better chance my plant challenged husband would not pull them up "weeding" my garden:somad. My purpose is to have them right outside the house so when I need them I walk out the door and cut what I need and finish cooking.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
Rows would be great because I am a traditional row garden person. There is a better chance my plant challenged husband would not pull them up "weeding" my garden:somad. My purpose is to have them right outside the house so when I need them I walk out the door and cut what I need and finish cooking.
I went completely with pots for all my herbs excpet for all my basils which I planting inbetween my tomatoes in their beds.

I can't remember which one's were perennial, annual and self sowing?! I just though this way I didn't end up with a plant sowing itself throughout my garden unwanted! Except for the basil... I know where I like that.

Which reminds me... I bought a funky sage I've never seen before... its got green in the center of the leave, and the leaves are lines in yellow. Is this perennial or annual? It says its a 'compact' variety staying about 18" around?! If this isn't true let me know, I need to move it then.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi vfem, :frow

It's a perennial sage but it stays smaller than the common one & doesn't have as good a flavour in cooking, but it looks very pretty ! :D

:rose Hattie :rose

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:

It's a perennial sage but it stays smaller than the common one & doesn't have as good a flavour in cooking, but it looks very pretty ! :D

Does it have a similar flavor as sage goes? Or does it taste slightly different? I was hoping it tasted similar but weaker!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good... common sage seems very strong to me, and easy to over do. So I'm glad I made the choice of it being pretty, because it is 100% what I wanted then.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Hattie the Hen said:

Does it have a similar flavor as sage goes? Or does it taste slightly different? I was hoping it tasted similar but weaker!
It's more of an ornamental sage, although it is edible, it's just not as 'sagey' as the standard.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Good... common sage seems very strong to me, and easy to over do. So I'm glad I made the choice of it being pretty, because it is 100% what I wanted then.
I agree, I don't use it much in the kitchen but I think that it is very pretty. Is it scented when it's in the garden. I am not sure that I am going to try it this year but I really like having a garden that is full of perinniels. I have the front pretty much done now. I have to weed a little and I am planning on moving two hosta's this year. Throw in a few annuals... done.

Latest posts