Is it ok to grow these herbs together?

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
In the past, I have grown the super-basic herbs (basil, parsley, chives) in seperate containers. This year, however, I'm thinking about growing some different varities in one area, rather than have flowers. I bought seeds for these varities:

-basil
-cilantro
-dill
-mint
-parsley

Will all of these varities do well together, or should I still seperate? I've already thrown out some dill seeds in my garden, so I can start attracting those wonderful lady bugs :fl Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi! Unless you want to have a garden full of mint for the rest of your life- keep it in a pot!! The rest of the herbs will do fine anywhere. I am in zone 4 and all the herbs you listed are considered annuals here- this may not be the case for you... I had everything you listed in one raised garden and they did great. If you like cilantro with your tomatoes (ie salsa), you might want to save some seeds for later. The cilantro will be ready long before you have a ripe tomato...

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You had better separate the mint or otherwise thats all you will have. It will spread invasively. The others should be fine together. To separate my mint, I usually cut the bottom out of a five gallon bucket, sink it into the ground with the top edge sticking up a few inches, fill with dirt and plant the mint in that. It keeps it controlled.

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
lesa said:
Hi! Unless you want to have a garden full of mint for the rest of your life- keep it in a pot!! The rest of the herbs will do fine anywhere. I am in zone 4 and all the herbs you listed are considered annuals here- this may not be the case for you... I had everything you listed in one raised garden and they did great. If you like cilantro with your tomatoes (ie salsa), you might want to save some seeds for later. The cilantro will be ready long before you have a ripe tomato...
Thanks for the tips in regards to mint & cilantro. I definitely want salsa & would've kicked myself, had I planted everything at once :lol:

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
aquarose said:
You had better separate the mint or otherwise thats all you will have. It will spread invasively. The others should be fine together. To separate my mint, I usually cut the bottom out of a five gallon bucket, sink it into the ground with the top edge sticking up a few inches, fill with dirt and plant the mint in that. It keeps it controlled.
Wow, I had no idea mint was so invasive :hu Thanks for the bucket trick, I just picked one up @ Menards for under 3 bucks, so it'll definitely come in handy :D

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could probably plant chives, thyme, oregano, and sage as perennials if you wish. My cilantro reseeded quite well from last year as I let it go to seed. I had to replant my basil, dill, and parsley this year.

If you want free 5 gallon buckets, check at a grocery that has a deli or at a deli. A lot of their stuff comes in food grade 5 gallon or 2-1/2 gallon buckets. Many give them away for free.

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
You could probably plant chives, thyme, oregano, and sage as perennials if you wish. My cilantro reseeded quite well from last year as I let it go to seed. I had to replant my basil, dill, and parsley this year.

If you want free 5 gallon buckets, check at a grocery that has a deli or at a deli. A lot of their stuff comes in food grade 5 gallon or 2-1/2 gallon buckets. Many give them away for free.
Thank you for the info on perennials :) Uhhh...I had no idea some herb varities were perennials :lol: I like the concept of planting once & benefiting for years!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Augustmomx2 said:
In the past, I have grown the super-basic herbs (basil, parsley, chives) in seperate containers. This year, however, I'm thinking about growing some different varities in one area, rather than have flowers. I bought seeds for these varities:

-basil
-cilantro
-dill
-mint
-parsley

Will all of these varities do well together, or should I still seperate? I've already thrown out some dill seeds in my garden, so I can start attracting those wonderful lady bugs :fl Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
OK this is the same variety I was going to plant except I am not doing mint and I am planting oregano and lavendar. I started 1/2 of my seeds (except parsely) in cups in the house and I have only started 1 cup of cilantro to see how long it takes...etc. I am replacing a flower bed with herbs this year and I have no idea really what I am doing. I have had lots of gardens be the only herb my mom ever planted was dill.

Do I group them together like my veg. garden or design one of the gardens you see in magazines? The only thing that has spouted so far is basil and cilantro. I am in zone 6a with the last day of frost being 20 May as per US something... map. I am planning on using the herbs fresh as well as drying them and hopefully collecting seeds for next year. The spot gets morning sun and full sun until 2:30 -3:00pm. After that it's shaded by the house. Any suggestions?????

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Outside of the lavender and oregano (which are perennials) I plant all culinary herbs in rows in the garden if they're strictly for kitchen use. If they're supposed to be 'pretty' then go ahead and plant them in a nice fashion, but keep in mind, they are all annuals, which are on the earth to set seed for the next generation, and they won't be there next season.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use joint compound buckets. Seems like there is always one around. HunkieDorie23, be careful also with oregano. I don't have any direct experience but I have heard that certain varieties may also be invasive. I also think that you can plant them any way you wish. If you want a pretty arrangement, so be it. If you just want random blobs, go for it. If you like order, plant in rows. I would just try to put taller ones in the back, and shorter ones in the front.

Latest posts