Is my herb garden dying?

bodean

Sprout
Reaction score
We planted our herb garden on our porch about a month ago. Up until 2 days ago, it has been doing great, but the last 2 days, the herbs look wilted, and when I water it, seems the water runs through the soil very quickly, and exits out the drainage holes (seems to not be getting absorbed)

What is causing this, how do i save them?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
welcome-1.gif

Water the plants from the bottom.

Set the containers in a basin of water for a couple of hours. Don't forget them!

Steve

bodean

Sprout
Reaction score
I will put the planter box in the bathtub tomorrow morning for a few hours then.

Any idea what caused this? They are on the balcony/porch, which faces west. Get sunlight from 12-7pm daily, rained the last 2 days also. We water them in the morning, daily (when it doesn't rain).

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What herbs? Any possibility you water too much?

bodean

Sprout
Reaction score
parsley, mint, cilantro, oregano.

We water once a day, that's too much?

If so, after soaking for a few hours in the tub, should we adjust our watering schedule?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi, welcome! :) did you use a potting soil when you planted these herbs, or dirt from your yard...? I'm wondering if its dirt from your yard if its gotten really compacted inthe pots and wont absorb the water. Besides soaking them in the tub, which may help temporarily, you probably want to put the pots in some kind of water catching tray. They make plastic things you can buy, or you could just put the pot in whatever plastic container you have around the house that lets the bottom of the container sit inside it.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that potting soil will form a solid chunk after awhile and it is not readily permeable to water, especially if it has had a chance to dry out completely between waterings. I put my hanging baskets and pots in to the kiddie pool with a couple of inches of water and leave it there most of the day. It will soak up what it needs. And you'll lose less of your nutrients to run-off this way. And be less likely to contract foliage diseases too, by avoiding top watering. Good luck!

ETA: Unless it's baking hot outside, you probably won't need to water everyday. Sometimes a little mulch at the top of the pot will help. Poke your finger in about 1-2 inches or so and if it is dry, then it needs water.

bodean

Sprout
Reaction score
Yes, it was potting soil. We can not do a water catching tray, as these planters sit on tour balcony rail. I will put them a big pool today, and soak the bottoms.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
?? Why can't a little drip tray go under them? Any space big enough for the pot is fine for the tray. I have 4 sitting on my porch rail. I was concerned about the wood so I took an old box fan and cut the front grill into quarters. This plastic 'grid' is under the drip catcher pan, which is under the pots themselves.

8721_thca4mxqb8.jpg

bodean

Sprout
Reaction score
its a rectangle balcony box, that wont work

Latest posts