Is There a Raspberry?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend asks ..

. is there a raspberry variety with fruit that doesn't turn to mush in the refrigerator overnight??

I don't know :hu.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is just the nature of the berry.

That is the reason you don't find a lot of raspberries out of season or a lot of raspberry varieties at the supermarkets. Raspberries are fragile and have a short shelf life. You raise them, pick them yourself, or buy them frozen. Store bought just don't hold up well.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who has any left to put in the fridge?

Last time I did though, it was the Fall Gold (not sure if that's the real name or I just made it up) and I picked them for a friend. They were still nice the next day when I gave them to him.

Maybe your friend is washing them and putting them away wet?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know I never have any to put away in the fridge either. Yes, Thistle you are correct, there is a Fall Gold which I have but doesn't do very well for some reason. But Heritage does really well.

Mary

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Raspberries are very fragile, we only see them in the supermarkets here for just a few days and they're darn expensive so we all grow our own.
Right now we still have several big bags left in the freezer that I need to do something with, probably make another batch or two of freezer jam and give the rest to my daughter, she makes a lot of fruit smoothies.
In season we pick every day, what aren't eaten that day go on a tray in the freezer "unwashed", when frozen they're bagged up, this way they stay loose and it's easy to take out only what you want to use.
We grow ours on wires horizontally, if grown this way you don't need very many plants. My raspberry bed has a T-bar at each end, the wire is strung along the length of the bed , through holes in the T-bars and along the other side. A board down the middle keeps the T-bars in place when the wire is pulled up tight. Growing horizontally gives you a lot more berries. T-bars are at a height comfortable for picking, no reaching, no bending, well not much:). The new canes grow up through the middle, in the fall, sometime in October after the canes are bendable without breaking I take them and wind them along the wire almost like braiding. A couple of pictures for those who might like to try this method
DSCN5568.JPG
In the fall, the new canes in the middle left to their own devices, the old ones along the wire have been cut out.

DSCN3017.JPG
Wound around the wires.

Raspberries1.png
What it looks like in the winter.

Raspberries2.png
Early spring, new growth starting.

Raspberries3.png
T-bar and spreader bar.

Thought I had a picture of what it looks like at picking time but can't find it. I can highly recommend this way of growing raspberries to anyone thinking of growing them. We grow Tulameen, huge berries, nice flavor.

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think washing berries is the problem. If I had to guess, I'd bet crowded vines is resulting in substandard berries and part of the problem she is having.

I should do that with the few plants granted space in my own backyard, Annette!

DW likes raspberries but the big veggie garden is where a neighbor's raspberry jungle encroaches every year. The tractor guy is helpful with tilling but I still can't walk along the path near those canes by mid summer. I shrink my outside bed by half when planting so those neighboring vines are 4' beyond where they were tilled under. We can reach all berries needed for our snacking there. Now, to get control of our snackberries here at home!

Steve
checking Fall Gold, Heritage and Tulameen

Latest posts