Is there a way to bump up the contrast between quoted and unquoted?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm noticing recently that a lot of people are including their comments in quoted parts of other posts and there's no way to tell who's written what when people do that other than to go back to the original posts.

My suggestion would be to make the quoted parts a bit more visible by changing that shade in the background to a bit more of whatever it is.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm noticing recently that a lot of people are including their comments in quoted parts of other posts and there's no way to tell who's written what when people do that other than to go back to the original posts.

My suggestion would be to make the quoted parts a bit more visible by changing that shade in the background to a bit more of whatever it is.

well, ok, now that i've got it pulled up, i consider the issue to be reversed from what i thought it was. :)

i.e. quoted text is white and the writing i'm doing here in the followup is pale off-white. to me that should be reversed entirely (which would change the entire style of the website because then you'd need the edges to all be pale off-white too. ugh... :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I strongly suspect that making quoted text appear different by default would not fix the problem you mention. Any code employed within the quote box, would most likely apply to any text typed within the box after the fact... unless the quote box was read-only (if that is even possible).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, ok, now that i've got it pulled up, i consider the issue to be reversed from what i thought it was. :)
The "B" for bold is always available. I'll often need to go back to the original post to see what has been written. Yes, it is a bit confusing at times. Other moments, I feel somewhat charmed by having someone virtually joining me on the couch and responding with captions 😊.
i.e. quoted text is white and the writing i'm doing here in the followup is pale off-white. to me that should be reversed entirely (which would change the entire style of the website because then you'd need the edges to all be pale off-white too. ugh... :)

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting discussion! We do have some flexibility in how quoted text looks, but how much... I'm not sure.

@flowerbug do you have an example of what you'd ideally like it to look like?

unless the quote box was read-only (if that is even possible).
Correct, there isn't a way for us to make a quote "read only"

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting discussion! We do have some flexibility in how quoted text looks, but how much... I'm not sure.

@flowerbug do you have an example of what you'd ideally like it to look like?

Correct, there isn't a way for us to make a quote "read only"

just more contrast in the background color between what i am replying to and where i am typing new text, but i also see at times that i cannot move my cursor below the quoted text at all unless i turn off the bbcode and go right to plain text for editing (and in that case there's no contrast at all). so perhaps that is what is happening is that some people are being put at the wrong place in the text when replying and that is why i'm seeing them including their reply in the quoted text more often? i'm not sure exactly, but more contrast would make it clearer to me visually. right now it is a very faint difference in contrast.

as an example of the latter issue at the bottom i'll put a smiley face, but as soon as i save than and then come back to edit i won't be able to put my cursor on the right side of that to insert new stuff after that unless i turn off the bbcode editing and go to plain text and then i can do it.

of course now that i try it i find out that i can move my cursor to the end, but not via the cursor right key. i actually have to use the cursor down key. still it may not be obvious to others. strange that it stops there for that and nowhere else... hmmm...

:)

Last edited: