Is there such a shrub????

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Note Cane when I was broken into a site on how to protect your home said to plant barberry around the windows. Even if window open no one will crawl though.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh Oh, all the above are great ideas. Beauty Berry or Contorted Hazelnut are my favorites.

beautyberry1.jpg

beautybery2.jpg

beauty berry1.jpg

beauty berry.jpg

The above are all Beauty Berry. They have a mazillion very very purple berries set on in the late summer and last all winter for the birds. It does loose it's leaves.

hazelnut2.jpg

hazelnut33.jpg

cotorted hazelut1.jpg

The above is all Contorted Hazelnut in winter. It has beautiful weepy leaves in the summer. You see the catkins hanging on it all winter. no one eats them.

mahonia1.jpg

mahonia2.jpg

Mahonia and buds.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering why my google search turned up so many UK sites for any of those 3 shrub varieties, Debbie. Is it just that google is mistaken about where I am or are you looking at UK varieties?

Steve

I noticed that too. Weird huh? But that's what kept coming up.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should really stay outta this thread because I know so very little about shrubs and trees.

@waretrop has pretty pictures but one is slightly incomplete ;). (At the same time, she has that lovely, snow covered Hazelnut :)! I like that tree in the snow so well, I once found a picture like that for my annual Christmas letter. I couldn't go out in my own yard, which has next to no shrubs for the picture but had to steal it off the internet!)

Anyway, this Mahonia isn't even in my yard and I didn't plant it. It isn't even very good blooms since some years they are much larger. But, I remembered that I once posted a picture on TEG and found it easily. (It had to be easily because, as is often true, this basket-case gardener is up before 4am ;).) So, here is the blooming "Oregon Grape"

dsc00957-jpg.2237

... that grows beside where I have walked a million times in each of the last 20+ summers. Don't think of it as a ringing endorsement, Debbie. I've never once felt the desire to actually embrace it. It's just that I have a sentimental relationship with the plants ;).

Steve

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think you are talking about honeysuckle or at least in the south. It grows like a weed, which it is in zone 7.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those leaves look painful

They are, trust me. But it is surely a tough plant. I transplanted some for a client, out of a steep bank and into a bed lined with tall limbed up cedars. They went from full sun and getting a bit of regular sprinkling from the lawn system, to open shade and a very dry bed. The first summer I watered them once a week, now they only get snow and rainfall, and they haven't missed a beat. I even semi mutilated the root system trying to get them dug up from that bank. Did I mention it was steep? And I'm no mountain goat.

Latest posts