It's a Great Big World

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is prompted by me coming back to TEG and finding @so lucky and @Larisa posting about @valley ranch 's thread on caves @ Nottingham England ..!

I was just trying to find a location in Missouri relative to another Missouri town and learning that they are 270+ miles apart. That may not seem like many miles but Missouri is a bigger state than what one might imagine. Secondly, I had some relatives from near Indianapolis who travelled to near Springfield Missouri in the 1830's. They returned to Indianapolis and came back to Missouri in the 1870's!

Well, in the 1870's maybe they did that by train but railroads weren't there in the 1830's! It's over 500 miles between Indianapolis and Springfield!

Steve
who is now going off to try to figure out why having the Earth between the sun and the moon makes one bit of difference for ocean tides in New Jersey!!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve it's because of gravity. The moon has a major effect on tides. You can get two high tides and two low tides a day. As the earth spins a high tide follows right under the moon where the moon's gravity is strongest. But the moon also has a reasonably strong gravity effect on water where it is exactly opposite from that spot on the earth. The gravity from the sun has the same effect tough quit a bit smaller. So when the effects from the moon and sun combine you can get a pretty high or low tide.

That's the basic physics but of course nothing is ever that simple. The shape of the land has an effect too. When I lived in South Louisiana we only had one high tide and one low tide a day, not two. That's due to the shape of the Gulf of Mexico. Our tidal variation wasn't very much either. Along the east coast they should get two a day and can get a high height variation.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I read that the farther from the equator you are, the more extreme tides you have. I know that makes sense, but I haven't figured out why.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's that "shadow" or "echo" wave, 12 hours behind the other.

Maybe it's the liquid nature of water ... well, I guess it has to be.

You see, it makes sense that the sun and moon team up with their gravitational pulling during the New Moon. But, they each pull from the opposite direction at Full Moon. And, the sun isn't doing all that much pulling at anytime.

(The sun claims it has other balls in the air ... if it wasn't so darn attractive, I'd have a negative opinion but, I'm only human and this bus hasn't arrived at my stop yet ... :))

Steve
good question, @so lucky . i wonder why the moon doesn't circle above the poles. it would make better sense for those extreme tides.
Untitled-2.jpg

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Quote: who is now going off to try to figure out why having the Earth between the sun and the moon makes one bit of difference for ocean tides in New Jersey!!!
----------
Without the moon, methinks there would be no tides, as we know them.

It is said that the earth raises at the Equator as much as two foot due to the pull of the moon. The water/seas are pulled toward the equator, at the equator the oceans are lifted, whereas the northern and southern oceans and lakes are pulled across and toward the Equator causing great lateral movement that is very noticeable.

Last edited:

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What do you think that affects the water in the puddle?
(for those who do not have hot flashes near)
If it is included in the theme «It's a Great Big World».
The puddle - this part of the world? o_O

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, @Larisa -- that is what is in the YouTube puddle??

Here inside my paper cup
Everything is lookin' up
No one comes in, no one goes out
Nothin' to get hung up about ...

And everybody says I'm quite insane
And someday I'll be going down the drain

;) Steve & the 5th Dimension :)

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS'
That nobody knows. Did you see the 5 measuring lady going barefoot through the puddles in the rain? If you see – wag to me a hand.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Teacher-2.gif

no.

I saw feet in white shoes and more feet in sandals.

Were ladies wading in that still water or am I missing the mystery? I have spent time with a shaman. She might have said that she "wasted" time with me.

Steve :)

Latest posts