i've just bought a half of a hog

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm so excited. I'm getting bacon, ham, lard, pork chops, & a nice roast. this lady I buy raw milk from offered half a pig. I'm excited to taste it & see if I want to raise pigs for meat.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We get pork from a local farmer, and it is DEEEE-LISH. I also like it because it's helped me expand my eating horizons to include new things. We get the ground pork unseasoned, and I've discovered some new wonderful recipes that I never would've tried.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You will really enjoy having that in your freezer! My pig is at the butcher, as we speak. You will be looking for any excuse to have bacon!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary, a half a pig is not as much meat as you think. The first year we ordered we got a half, just to see how we liked it. Now, we always get two whole pigs- and there is just two of us eating it! I guess you know who the "pigs" are!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa, 2 whole pigs! :ep We are not hugh meat eaters. Trying to eat fish 2 times a week and even that is hard. I know it depends on your area but about how much does 1/2 pig cost? I won't make any joking comments about you being a "piggy". :lol:

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around six hundred for both of them...they are pasture raised and the price includes butchering. The ironic thing is that I was a vegetarian for 30 years- and wouldn't have touched pork...Now, I absolutely love it. I feel good about eating this meat. It is raised humanely, has very little fat and is incredibly flavored. I buy it from a couple who lives out in the middle of nowhere. They only raise a few pigs a year. Local, pastured, delicious. Can't go wrong!

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
this lady is charging $4.00/lb. that's very high. however, I'm willing to do it this one time just to see how we like it. it's just the two of us - but we like to share w/folks, so it'll spread a little farther.

Latest posts