Jaci's Apple Tree

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Jaci (my 9 y/o daughter) decided that she wanted to grow an apple tree! So here we go!!! Started from a Granny Apple seed. We'll try to grow just about anything around our house.:D It looks like a little snake sticking its tongue out to me.
2016-05-05_11.00.58[1].jpg
2016-05-05_11.01.53[1].jpg

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wow cool I tried starting apple seeds, never got one to sprout.
She just decided she wanted to as she was eating the apple. We didn't do anything to them except stick them in some seed starter that we had on hand. There's actually two, but I don't for sure know the other one is an apple tree. It might be an elm because we get those volunteering all the time. The only reason I was for sure on this one is because it brought the little seed shell up with it. You know, horticultural identification at its finest. :lol:

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looking good! I like that attitude and the success so far.
Thank you. If it has a seed in it you can bet she's going to want to put it in dirt. We have three avocado pits in the window seal partly submerged in water (although I've heard that you don't get fruit when you grow them like we are, but it'll be a few more trees to plant at least). We are growing some of those elms that I talked about in my previous post from seeds we've found lying around. We have saved seeds from other fruit just to see if we can grow it..... It's a never ending horticulture/science experiment at our house! She loves it!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just a thaught... you may want to show Jaci how to graft this seedling onto a dwarf or semidwarf rootstock to limit the size of that apple tree. Othrwise I hope you pick out a spot that can handle a HUGE tree.

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just a thaught... you may want to show Jaci how to graft this seedling onto a dwarf or semidwarf rootstock to limit the size of that apple tree. Othrwise I hope you pick out a spot that can handle a HUGE tree.
I never thought about grafting. That might be our next endeavor. We have plenty of room to plant, so I won't take the chance of killing her first apple tree (I'm not experienced in grafting). I'm sure there will be many more to come now that this little guy sprouted.

Latest posts