jars open in water

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,
I was canning some tomato sauce today, when the strangest thing happened. I placed the jars in the boiling water vertical then about 5 mins later i changed my mine and placed the jars horizontal, a few seconds later the canning jar opened in the boiling water. I'm guessing that this happened because of change in pressure, should i just leave the jars horizontal next time and not move the jars after i put them in the boiling water?

Thanks!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have only canned vertically and never touch them until they are done ...I imagine you are right the pressure probably changed

I do not can anymore much of anything jellies and jams so things may have changed?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think they have to be vertical to establish the vacuum. This is the first time I've heard of anyone putting them in horizontally.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I think they have to be vertical to establish the vacuum. This is the first time I've heard of anyone putting them in horizontally.
When i had the jars vertically the water was below the level of the cap so i layed the jars down so they would be submerged. I think i need to get a taller pot ansd leve them submerged vertically.

Thanks Guys for repling ;)

Reaction score
When canning in a water bath, the jars should be vertical and the water should be at least an inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a boil and then start counting the time for processing. This is all assuming that what you are canning can be SAFELY processed in a a water bath.

Good Luck!!
Cindy

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you meant by the jars opened in the boiling water? Did the tops actually come off or do you mean you had a lot of leakage? Were you doing water bath or pressure canning method?

When the contents get hot, the gasses in the jar expand. Liquids turn to steam. In order for a vacuum to form as the jar cools down, some of the gasses and steam have to escape from the jar. If the jar is vertical, you left enough headspace inside the jar, and you don't have big swings of pressure while canning, almost all of what escapes during canning is gas and your water will be pretty clean. Some product escaping is not a big deal. I wipe my jars down before I take the ring off anyway just to make sure they are clean before I store them. If the jar is on its side, I could see where a lot of the product could escape.

And CaliforniaChick makes a good point. If you are using the water bath method, the jar needs to be covered by at least an inch of water according to my canner instructions. If you are using the pressure canning method, the jar does not need to be covered, but you do need enough water to maintain pressure throughout the process. I find that I can maintain a more constant pressure using the pressure canning method if I have more water than the absolute minimum, but I usually don't cover the jars. I don't think that it hurts to cover them when pressure canning and I have a couple of times but it is not necessary.

I may have canned tomato juice, tomato sauce, corn, corn chowder (add the milk after opening), vegetable soup, chicken broth, green beans, lima beans, peas, sauerkraut, pickles, jelly, squash, beets, beet greens and probably some other things this year and used both water bath and pressure methods, I do not consider myself an expert in canning. I took a lot of physics in college. I'm trying to apply some of that physics and some of my experience.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks guys so much for the useful informative about canning, i've learned a few things that i'm sure will help me can next time.

Thanks Again ! ;)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, the jars *must* be vertical in the canner. But, just checking since you say they "opened", you did have the rings screwed on (just finger-snug), yes?

Pat

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Yes, the jars *must* be vertical in the canner. But, just checking since you say they "opened", you did have the rings screwed on (just finger-snug), yes?

Pat
Yes, i had the ring screwed on nice and tight.
Can you overtighten the rings?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, you just want them finger-tip tight...just turn 'til you meet resistance.

I love canning, to see all the colorful jars side by side on a well stocked shelf. :rainbow-sun

Do you have a copy of the Ball Blue Book? It's very informative. Good luck and have fun with your canning endeavors! :happy_flower