Jelly vs Jam

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I guess I'm not entirely sure of the difference. I know jelly is from juice-- jam has more fruit-- but where is the line you cross from one to the other?

I've got a wealth of chokecherries nearly ready to pick ( if the birds dont' get them at the peak of ripeness during this rain), and will be getting several quarts each of raspberries and blueberries that friend picked over the last month and froze.

My plan for the chokecherries is jelly, but the others, not sure yet.

I'd love to hear your ideas and your pros versus cons for both!

Thanks!

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You're right - jelly is from juice and jam has fruit in it. Raspberries can be made into either - it depends if you like the seeds or not (my aunt always did jelly because the seeds got under her dentures). I prefer jam in most cases - I like the texture better. The only jelly I make is grape, everything else is jam. But it all depends on your personal taste.

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yep only Jelly I do is grape.
I do allot of zucchini/various berries jam and DD13 got best of show this year at local fair for her zuc/berry jam and allot of requests for more LOL.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am a jam lover, but I make both! The juicing process takes a lot of time if you REALLY need to have a crystal clear jelly. Though jelly is really your only choice for some things. Like all those herbs I want to make into something, since they have to sit in hot water like tea, the little brown pieces floating around in the jar is gross so you filter those out before you jelly them.

I have to say, I like my crunchy seeds in my berry jams... those I get lots of people asking me to take the seeds out. Not worth my time! ;)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jam, Jam, Jam!!!! :drool Love the bits of fruit in it. Only grape jelly. Besides it is so much easier than having to prep the juice for jelly! :rolleyes:

Neko-Chan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Jelly I always thought was a waste of time. :p Okay for grape jelly but then... I don't really like grape jelly. I mean, what about all the brilliant pulp and fiber bits? :p

Jelly: made from strained juice with sugar/pectin (or not, as it depends)
Jam: made with sugar and whole fruit that has been mashed (berries, etc)
Preserves: Larger pieces of fruit that had been simmered in a sugar syrup until clear and shiny and the syrup gels

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Now-- I think you should all share your wonderful recipes :)

I like the idea of jam. I hope to find some nice things to do jam with. I have a lot of blueberries-- I might do jam with those. I love seeds, too, but, hubby and I have both had major dental work this year, so seeds aren't so good. When things settle down, dental-wise.. We may do more seeds :)

Latest posts