Joe, you should have mail in the morning!

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I dont remember what all i sent.

most everything should probably go in pots i think for the time being except for Eby's daylilies, so, so that you know sort of what you are planting where i'll try to explain:

there is a daylily wrapped in newspaper labeled pink. its pink. it came from my grandmothers yard after she passed and is registered but i have no idea what the name is.
Picture4341.jpg

there is a larger clump of daylily (like 4 or 5 plants) that i cut back, and it is light yellow and named Frivolous Frills. it tends to be a heavier bloomer and a rebloomer for me. good grower, i would divide it now. it looks like this but this is not my photo:
Frivolous%20Frills.jpg

then there is a clump of three of four and you can tell by the foliage that it is a smaller, shorter daylily. it is a red one that i bought a long time ago from a woman who called it Chippy Cherry. but i can't find it registered so i guess she never got around to registering it or either named it something different instead or decided not to register it. here it be. its really more of a maroonish red than this photo indicates.
Picture4498.jpg

and then there is a doublefan i believe that i snipped the tops off, and it is an orangeish daylily that came from grandmothers also. also registered but dont know the name of it either and i never could find any of her daylily records if she had any. no pics of this one, its just like.. kind of dark orange :/

also i sent two pieces of kalanchoe if you can find those, a larger older look piece that is pink and a smaller leafier looking piece is red. you probably already have the pink?
Picture2792.jpg

there should be enough hens and chicks to get a good start of that. i think i sent a piece that had some roots already on it and all the leaves will root if they got broke off.

horsetail is in a ziplock bag. i included some tips that have little horsetail growths on them and those will probably root. i would just cut a little below the bottom of them (the new growths) and stick the whole parent stem down in some soil and they will probably form roots at the base of the newgrowth. (sometimes they root in water)

i stuffed some coleus cuttings in a bag of something-- i expected them to get to you already but oh well. if you cant salvage any of the coleus its no big deal they will get killed soon here anyway. mine in the water still havent rooted yet, but i'll send more later on.

oh yeah and the seeds-
two packs of morning glory seeds someone sent to me earlier this year. i imagine some of those should be good still. unforntunately morning glory is appreciated as a weed here on the farm. i do like the dark blue ones tho, but will have to appreciate them from afar for the time being.

and i sent some Old Fashioned Petunia seeds. they are pretty fool-proof and good reseeders assuming they get to bare ground. supposedly fragrant, but my smeller aint no good. most of those came from hotpink parents, but that doesnt mean much.

and i think i sent some pieces of purslane. mine is white and some of the flowers are half white and half yellow like your four oclocks are..

thats all that i can think of right now. i meant to send you some other seeds too but i forgot. maybe next time.

oh yeah, and the african iris seeds. super easy to start.
Picture460.jpg

oh and some Hurricane Lily bulbs so you will know when to board up.
1004081654.jpg

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beef my friend I did get your package and have planted all of the great plants you sent.

I have not had a chance to do a photo session with them yet, you know they just meet there long lost family members and all.

I am very happy with my new collection! Thank you Beef, I will post pictures in the morning.

Joe

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
oh good Joe! everything i sent is pretty tough besides the coleus "experiment"...

was most of the stuff salvageable?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
beefy said:
oh good Joe! everything i sent is pretty tough besides the coleus "experiment"...

was most of the stuff salvageable?
Everything made it just fine bro!

With all the family stuff I am a bit tied up but will post I the morning.

Thanks it was a great surprise!

Joe

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yeah poor planning on my part. didnt even realize it was thanksgiving week until i went to the post office... :hide

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
beefy said:
yeah poor planning on my part. didnt even realize it was thanksgiving week until i went to the post office... :hide
No problem I don't pay much attention to Holidays. I am just not about to pass up a huge dinner. Kind of funny being a Native American going to Thanksgiving dinner at my in laws, them being European.

It is cold out now(47*) but as soon as it warms up I will take pictures of everything. Thanks for letting me know what is what. Now I need to go and label them all so I don't forget. I planted them all over the front yard.

Eby said thank you. She thought that was very nice to think of her.

I am very excited about the African Iris seeds. I think I will try some now and save the rest to start in the spring.

Thanks again.

Joe

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of all the wonderful plants I received from Beefy.

100_8456.jpg

Beef can you tell what is what on these first two plants? I had planted them before you post the details and I am not sure about these two.

100_8457.jpg

100_8458.jpg

This one is the pink.

100_8459.jpg

Frivolous Frills I think?

100_8460.jpg

I love the color of these leaves! This will look very nice all year round. Is this one the Chippy Cherry?
100_8461.jpg

With all the planting I am not sure now where I put the Hurricane Lily bulbs. I need to go scouting about and see if I can recall what I did them. I know they were planted but where the heck did I put them?

Thank you my friend.

Joe

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey Joe--
Let me start out by saying that the pot you put the horsetails in is perfect! just dont let them escape out the holes. they should do well in the turtle sanctuary. did you find the little horsetail shoots i sent to root? the tips? if not no big deal but if you tossed them out in the yard somewhere they may come up! :hide

i'll give her a go:

it looks like the daylily in the first [daylily] picture is the orange one.

the second pic is chippy cherry, red, it wont get very tall.

the third appears to be the pink one.

fourth- is the frivolous frills as is the one in the center pot, i'm thinking--they were all nubs.

The dark colored leaves, the ones in the bottom picture are the hurricane lilies (3)--their foliage unfortunately doesnt last very long. :/ and they only bloom in september-november.

the bigger kalanchoe is pink and the smaller one is red.

i dont know what you call that stuff that looks like jew but smaller. it looks nice in a hanging basket tho. (will spread!)

did you plant the petunia seeds yet? they are pretty frost tolerant even as seedlings. i can picture them all over the front yard and out by the road. you can see them sort of in the background in this photo.
0505091356a-1.jpg

they are old fashioned petunias aka fragrant petunias aka reseeding petunias. not to be confused with the mexican ones.

heres a better example of them, not my photo. the seeds i sent are from more hot pink looking ones, but you will get all colors, possibly some variegated ones too!
petxhyxxx_01706_l.jpg

now that you know whos who you may want to give all the daylilies some crew cuts like i did to some of them. a lot of the leaves will probably turn yellow, no worries. i alwasy chop mine off when i transplant them.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow Beefy I was wrong on every plant! Gee what are the odds of that?

I will start the Petunia seed now. They sure are small! I think I will do them in a pan and transplant them after they grow a little.

Thanks for letting me know what is what again.
I will send you a package Mon. or Tue.

Joe

Latest posts