Johnny's Hand held 4 soil Blocker

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Need a little help here........this tool seems like it would be a huge money saver, but does it really work? Does anyone have one of these and do they really work?

I am going to be starting close to 500 plants this year, so I can't decide to get this and then it not work.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-8087-hand-held-4-soil-blocker.aspx
9527.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks real cool, but what keeps the soil from falling apart? Is it for starting seeds or for transplanting seedlings to the garden?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Honestly......I just cleaned out the pantry and found paper cups, Styrofoam cups, red solo cups......... :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like the folding newspaper planters, but that sure would take awhile.....have to start in the fall for spring planting :gig

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
As I have mentioned several times here, my personal favorite for starting plants is the venerable half pint school milk container. Each year I go in a day or two and collect all that I want. They are an ideal size for up-planting and great for putting right into the ground after tearing the bottom out -- no transplant shock.

I would think any school would appreciate the recycling of their trash as a good thing. Just give plenty of notice and keep committments. I add an extra trash container and stand nearby reminding the students to help me recycle by throwing their milk box into the extra container today.

I have stapled a dozen together to make moving them easier. Their shape fits pretty well inside my cookie sheets and/or cake pans. I do usually cut each one down -- sort of like taking the roof off each milk box so I'm not using quite as much starting soil.

Latest posts