Johnson Grass

jacca5

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Does anyone know of anything that can get rid of johnson grass but not harm my plants? This year johnson grass is the only weed in my garden. I weed the garden just about everyday but when you go out the next morning you can't even tell you have weeded. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I pull it all the time, but you've got to dig deep and get the roots. Any left will just resprout.

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
After a couple years of pulling it and feeding it to the goats I no longer see any.

jacca5

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I guess I'll just keep doing what I have been doing. I pull it by the small wagon loads and feed to our pigs. Thanks for the help.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Follow suit with the others. The only addition is that I don't pull it I dig it up. Any part of root left will grow another plant. A good burn down in the fall and or spring will help the return also.

Hobby

Reaction score
I'm engaged in the johnson grass war....the stuff is everywhere. In my garden proper, I dig out the above ground plant, then dig and sift for the rhizome. The other parts of my yard/property that has the stuff is in the process of pulling/digging and then running it through the ol' shredder and into a building compost pile that is not in the garden growing area. Yeah...it's a pain, but I figure that in time, the johnson grass will be gone from most areas and I will have some compost for future planting areas. I hope the compost pile heats up enough to kill the seeds....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One trick to weeding in general.... soak the soil good before pulling. Once the ground is wet it gives way to the weed's whole root so it doesn't come back.

I get every weed under the sun, I finally planted creeping jenny as ground cover to help choke out most of it. If I pull a little Jenny with the weed, that will always come right back!

Cut my weeding down 50% or more!

Latest posts