Josephs coat climbing rose

meggers32

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a new to the group, I found out about it from one of the sister groups. I am so glad to be here, because I have a few questions. I am pretty new to gardening and I got my first rose , a Josephs Coat climbing rose. I love it! It was great at first, so beautiful and then recently it seemed that it is done blooming. It came in it's own pot and I just replanted it carefully. It had beautiful blooms for about 4 weeks and now only one bloom. I don't really see any new blooms though. Is that how it works? It's done so soon? I hope not, it is just so pretty to look at. Can anyone help? Thanks!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Probably the main thing happening here is that this is (I gather?) a recently planted rose. It is not going to bloom as well or as long as it will after it's had a coupla years to settle in. Frankly you do not WANT it to bloom repeatedly right now, as it ought to be using its energy to grow roots not purty but ultimately useless flowers :)

I'd just continue to take good care of it and be patient til next year :)

Good luck,

Pat

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
oooo, I've got one on order from Gurneys, I think it was. They had a web special that was 3 roses for 19.99
Joesph's coat is one of them. I love the orange/pink color of it.
I've found on my other roses, that once I dead head the expired blooms, they will often rebud and bloom. Just a thought.

The Mustard Seed Gardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Meggers Welcome to TEG! :frow

I have 2 Josephs Coat climbers . One on each side of the tack room door to the barn. We've had them for 12 years now. We try to dead head the blooms and then give them a nice dose of Rose food, this also keeps the aphids (bugs) away. Since I live in the Pacific Northwest, in Washington State, I have problems with black spot because of the rain and heavy dew in the evening. I keep it under wraps by spraying the fugus (black spot). It's a very hardy plant. Give it some time. The rewards are wonderful! Good Luck! :tools

meggers32 said:
Hi there,

I am a new to the group, I found out about it from one of the sister groups. I am so glad to be here, because I have a few questions. I am pretty new to gardening and I got my first rose , a Josephs Coat climbing rose. I love it! It was great at first, so beautiful and then recently it seemed that it is done blooming. It came in it's own pot and I just replanted it carefully. It had beautiful blooms for about 4 weeks and now only one bloom. I don't really see any new blooms though. Is that how it works? It's done so soon? I hope not, it is just so pretty to look at. Can anyone help? Thanks!!

Latest posts