Joy in the Little Things

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Neighbors, huh? Maybe someone can explain a little/big thing about my neighbors' thinking ... What's the current thing about Christmas trees? Little things bring joy to different people, apparently.

The millennials, next door -- tinsel tree up and lit for months. Christmas is about the Winter solstice, I realize that we just passed Easter but we just passed the Spring equinox, also. Only recently has that tree's lights been left off on just a few nights -- off & on.

Neighbors across the way -- two years ago and after Christmas the tree came out beside the front door. It was re-decorated. I thought that someone might be having a January birthday. Stayed decorated for 12 months but with Christmas lights again during the season. Still there. I thought it might be a live tree in a pot but it fell over during a windstorm. Set upright and immediately re-decorated for April '23. And, continuing?

Not just the millennials but the olde, white-haired guy down the road - daughter & granddaughter live with him. Not a tree - Christmas lights on his fence. They are on every night. Every night for years! When it started and I first looked out, there was a car parked in front of the house. I couldn't see what was flashing and thought that there was an emergency vehicle in their driveway.

Gossippy digitS'

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here In the “long dark cold” we have a local tree service that will show up with a bucket truck and decorate YOUR BIGGEST TREE and some keep them lit many months.
“joy in the little things” keeps us sane? For many years a large dead spruce was decorated at a remote highway exchange on the way to Anchorage. Remote like “someone changed the battery every couple days”! You can’t imagine how many people appreciated that bright spot on they’re daily commute, and commented on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.jpeg
    IMG_0649.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Most of the large Brassicas didn't survive the extremely harsh winter, and I will plant them under a hoop tunnel in the future.

For those surviving ones, I picked the shoots that were about to flower and fried them with marinated chicken meat for our lunch, scrumptious.
4163.jpg

4162.jpg

4164.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same story of survival here, Phaedra. And, not yet at a time when a survivor might bolt to flower.

Joy this morning was watching the moon rise. I am somewhat reluctant to mention it to others because the experience will likely be very brief or not the same for tomorrow morning. Perhaps, we can follow the time of the next waning moon as it rises later and later, until the sunrise washes away it's special moments in the eastern sky. Neither words nor manufactured images can capture those.

Moments of Zen, do you suppose?

digitS'

Latest posts