Juicing Peppers,Egg Plant, and Kale

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?CNAVT 23 September 2012 Juicing Peppers,Egg Plant, and Kale.

Fifteen pound of peppers, five pounds of Egg Plan, and five Pounds of Kale was made into fourteen litres of juice.The fourteen litre jars were pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. The process is depicted in annotated pictures.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Durgan, would you please explain something to a novice dehydrator/non-juicer? What is gained by dehydrating the slurry before reconstituting to juice form and canning? Is it to gain a certain consistency, or does it retain more nutrients? Or something else?
Your posts have been very informative; thanks.

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
After observing the typical preserving as practised by most people, and finding much is not used, since most is unpalatable. I decided to experiment.

Almost any particular vegetable arrives on the scene in the garden in great abundance in a short window. Only a small portion can be utilized in fresh form. My objective is to prepare in a form, which can utilize as much as possible for use off season.

Juicing, as I call it, utilizes the complete fruit or vegetable. It is simple to perform and the product can be ingested by drinking, obtaining as many nutrients as possible. All preserving methods change any food, but my methods have to be better than that supplied by the commercial food supply in a supermarket. I simply drink about a litre per day often mixing in the drinking glass. By any other method I would never consume so much plant food. Taste is something acquired, and with a bit of practice and some effort with a view to obtaining nutrients almost anything can become palatable.

Juicing is my preferred method, but I do some dehydrating, which is fine for fruit leathers. The herbs I juice and ingest them by drinking in relatively small amounts, always with the view of obtaining the nutrients. Freezing I don't like except for meat and possible relatively short storage.

No added sugar or salt is used in any of my processes. Now I find that many fruits taste sweet to my palate.

I pressure can for simplicity and any fruit or vegetable properly pressure cooked raised to 240F (15 PSI for 15 minutes)eliminates every from of bacteria. But pressure canning must be done correctly.

The portable hand blender, table top blender, food mill, and Champion juicer (given to me), vacuum packing,along with outdoor propane cooking makes the process easy, and reduces the labour considerably from what our Grandmothers had to put up with.

I might add sugar added in all its forms, I consider almost a poison and undesirable.