Junk sumac or Chinese sumac

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
This tree grows a beautiful canopy, many people seem to hate it, but I like the look of it. I took a cutting, broke off a branch, and seems like it wants to grow for me. I was thinking for down on the high desert, I found it growing about 30 miles from our Nevada spread.

I'll post a picture but am never able to on in the first frame.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can see it sprouting out to side at the right. I sealed the end of the cutting with Cheese making wax. These produce no fruit, that I know of.

Attachments

• plant 2.JPG
    plant 2.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 216

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chinese Sumac AKA Tree of Heaven:

Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus altissima) is known by a number of names - stinking sumac, Chinese sumac, varnishtree and stinktree. No matter what you call it, it still remains an invasive species in Indiana.

The tree of heaven is a rapidly growing deciduous tree with pale gray bark, light brown twigs and large pinnately compound leaves. It is native to China and was brought to the United States in the late 1700's as a horticultural specimen and shade tree. Its ease of establishment, rapid growth and absence of insect or disease problems made it popular when planning urban landscaping. Its ability to produce an overly abundant amount of seeds, reproduction through roots and a chemical that can prevent or kill other plants near it has made it a species that have many states - including our own -- Indiana -- concerned.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Make sure you are able to mow on both sides of the hedge row or THEY WILL SPREAD. Also, are you sure they don't set fruit of any kind? The ones growing across the street from my house in town are sending out something that pops up all around the house and garage at my place. I always thought it was from seeds. Hard to imagine the tree roots growing under the road and up the hill to the other side of the street.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
No I sure of very little, I like the way they look and am interested in their antimicrobial and antioxidant production.

In the High Desert their invasive tendencies, I think will not act as they would in bottom land or moist meadow.

I've had my eye on this plant/tree for some time have heard and read much about it, but couldn't get exact information. I think it has a place in that setting and I will be able to study first hand.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is no way I would plant an invasive species. There is a responsibility to be a good steward of the land that God has blessed me with. There is also the responsibility towards my neighbors of not unleashing unwanted invasives to spread on their lands.

@valley ranch if you are interested in this plant, why not go to where they grow and take cuttings to experiment with the chemical it produces? Maybe better to do that than to do something that could change the fragile eco system in the high desert.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
From what I've read in that desert area they are not invasive, the tree I took a cutting from is in the high desert and has not spread , has not acted in that manner because of the highly alkaline soil and less moisture. Because of that the seem an appropriate tree for the area.

In moist communities the seed land and sprout as well as runners.

In the high desert things like Shochley's Desert thorn is invasive.

I'll check some more before planting.

Last edited:

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score

Many people hate these Chinese sumacs with a passion, but they’re the best trees I have found for our climate — in the right place.

They grow fast with lots of water, don’t die if they don’t receive much water, took the cold to 3 F last winter, lost a few branches in the wind, but thrive like no other tree.

However, they must be planted away from septic systems, pipes and foundations and they are alleopathic similar to walnut trees. In many areas they are considered an invasive species as they spread through suckers and seeds and are very difficult to eradicate. Of course that’s NOT a problem in the desert as we just don’t get enough rain for the trees to get established without irrigation. We had several suckers that unfortunately got eaten by rabbits. As with reeds and bamboo, there is no possibility that they’ll invade the desert.

http://highdesertpermaculture.org/blog/2013/09/23/tree-of-heaven-chinese-sumac-stink-tree/

Latest posts