Just bought home from buying fruit trees!

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am so excited that I just have to share. We just got home from buying more fruit trees for the new farm. :ya Okay here is what we got....
2 Elberta peaches
2 Red Haven peaches
2 Dwarf Mt. Royal Plums
2 Winesap Apples
2 McIntosh Apples
1 Joanthan (? spelling) Apple
1 Melrose Apple
and we got 2 flowering crabs as well for in the front yard.

These ad to what we already have
2 Keiffer Pears
1 Moon Glow Pears
2 Red Barrlet Pears
1 Santa Rosa plum
1 Black Tarrton (? spelling) Cherry
1 North Star Cherry
1 Queen Anne Cherry
1 Granny Smith Apple
2 Gala Apples

And there is still some I could not get tonight that I want but once we get moved over there I have a life time to keep adding. I guess that we are going to end up with 2 orchards 1/2 acre each.

edited for spelling but its still not all right :/

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
where did you get those? Ive been looking for a Winesap but never saw them locally. I love them, no nicely tart and crisp :drool They used to grow them at the farm market I worked for.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
oh how neat.. where did you get them from... I got some earlier this year from a man that had to order more than he needed to get free shipping then sold them for $5 a piece on craigs list.. I got 3 apple and 2 peach.. I am thrilled.. But I want more LOL

Your doing it the right way.. If I had planted the year we moved in we would have fruit this year.. oh well now i have to wait.

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
believe it or not I got them at the local big lots (the one in Bloomsburg On rt. 11)$14 each. I am pretty sure that most of them get them in. And they are from the same nursery that supplies Lowes, Walmart and home depot I think, I know it was in years past. I think I am gonna go back and get a few more tomorrow. :celebrate

edited to add: Hubby said I should add that they are pretty good size trees too. He guesses that the ones we got were between 5-6 ft tall some maybe a few inches more. All but the plums which were about 4 ft. They also had other shade trees and fruit tree varieties.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hey! Save me a winesap! Dont buy them all ;) I havent been up there in a while. I will have to check.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh wow... fantastic! I need to show this list to my husband... he wants apple trees in the yard, and he kind either pick one kind or 2 kinds... we're only getting 4 trees so there is room for grape vines for me and the kid :)

Can you suggest a good apple that isn't too tart to eat right off the tree, but great for baking?!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my favorite multi purpose apple is Empire, the Winesap is a little tart but I think its refreshing and crisp kind of tart.

wvsheila

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I got mine from big lots for the last two years and they have been great I have a drawf granny smith, bartlett pear, golden delicious apple, wilson apricot, red haven peach and santa rosa plum and they are all loking great and growing extremely well. I have been very pleased with them. I drive past big lots everytime I go to town just to see if they have them yet. (I want a red dogwood real bad)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have 10 flowering trees coming in the next 2 weeks I've been waiting on. They need to stay in a pot on the porch for a year or two... but I've decided to give some away so I can do the apple trees. It is my husband who wants them more then I do. I think the chickens agree with him though... nothing like rotten apples on the ground for them to gobble up!

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Oh wow... fantastic! I need to show this list to my husband... he wants apple trees in the yard, and he kind either pick one kind or 2 kinds... we're only getting 4 trees so there is room for grape vines for me and the kid :)

Can you suggest a good apple that isn't too tart to eat right off the tree, but great for baking?!
I like gala apples for eating :)

Latest posts