Just curious.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your logic makes sence to me!
digitS' said:
I have never known how this would work . . .

My parents and grandparents, despite living on farms, never said anything about it that I can remember. However, I've heard others talk about it all my life.

Let's say that I thought that it would be best to plant my carrots when the moon is full and thru the last quarter but there was cold, wet weather at that time. Would I then need to wait 14 to 28 days until the moon was again in that phase?

What about planting sweet corn during the new and 1st quarter phases. If it was wet and cold I'd have to delay that by 14 to 28 days? With a variety like Bodacious that requires nearly a full season of growing here, that would mean that I wouldn't bother to plant it at all half of the years. Yet, I have had Bodacious for about 6 or 7 season and it never failed to produce a crop.

With carrots, I figure that I've got about a 2 week period to sow seed without taking some kind of unusual measure to get it to sprout. The weather is just too likely to not cooperate outside of the long germination period that carrots require.

I think I'd just crowd myself down where I could only plant half a garden most years.

Steve
who uses the solar calendar, weather and soil temperature to guide planting

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The concept is a good one, my grandmother always planted by the moon and my mother did also but she couldn't remember all the stuff and usually just planted with the full moon. I did research it and honestly the last two years the weather has made it impossible to plant by the moon. But I have had terrible gardens that last two years but ... I think this is also because of the cold and wet that has just been ridiculous. I have not planted for the zodiac I am not even sure how that works.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have been planting by to moon for sometime now just like my forefathers and I get my best crops planting this way.

For planting by the Zodiac -

Aries- A fire sign. Barren and dry. Harvest root and fruit for storage. Cultivate, destroy weeds and pests.

Taurus- An earth sign. Productive and moist. Second best for planting and transplanting. Good for root crops and potatoes, especially when hardiness is important. Also a good sign for leafy vegetables such as lettuce, cabbage and spinach.

Gemini- An air sign. Barren and dry. Harvest root and fruit for storage. Cultivate, destroy weeds and pests. Melon seeds respond well in this sign.

Cancer- A water sign. Very fruitful and moist. The best sign for all planting and transplanting. Also good for grafting, and irrigation.

Leo- A fire sign. Very barren and dry. Cultivate, harvest root and fruit for storage. An excellent time to destroy weeds and pests in the fourth quarter.

Virgo- An earth sign. Barren and moist. Some flowers and vines are favored by it. Cultivate and destroy weeds and pests.

Libra- An air signs. Semi-fruitful and moist. Best sign for planting beautiful and fragrant flowers, vines and herbs. Good for planting pulpy stems like kohlrabi, and root crops.

Scorpio- A water sign. Very fruitful and moist. Best planting sign for sturdy plants and vines. Tomatoes like to be transplanted in Scorpio, and it is a good sign for corn and squash. Graft or prune in the third and fourth quarter to retard growth and promote better fruit. A good sign for irrigation and transplanting.

Sagittarius- A fire sign. Barren and dry. Harvest roots and onions for storage, and plant onion sets and fruit trees. A good sign in which to cultivate the soil.

Capricorn-An earth sign. Productive and dry. Good for planting potatoes and other root crops, and for encouraging strong hardy growth. Good for grafting, and pruning to promote healing, and applying organic fertilizer.

Aquarius- An air sign. Barren and dry. Harvest root and fruit for storage. Cultivate, destroy weeds and pests. Good for planting onion sets.

Pisces- A water sign. Very productive and moist. Second best sign for planting and transplanting. Especially good for root growth and irrigation.

For planting by the moon -

New Moon (dark of the moon) - This is the best time for planting above ground annual crops that produce their seeds outside the fruit.

Second Quarter - This generally a good time for planting, but is two days before the full moon. Plant annuals that produce above ground, but their seeds form inside the fruit.

Full Moon - This is a favorable time for planting root crops.

Fourth Quarter - This is the best time to cultivate, harvest.

Chris

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My husband swears by it. We take note and rush to get things done by the moon cycles. He is a seasoned farmer and I a novice so i am still learning! It really DOES work.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chris, that is the moon cycles that I use. Transplants need to go in 2 days before the full moon as well. But how do you plant for the zodiac, is that in the farmer's almanac? I know that the signs come in and out throughout the month but I have no idea how to tell when that is. The moon cycles are on my calendar, no problem.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
Chris, that is the moon cycles that I use. Transplants need to go in 2 days before the full moon as well. But how do you plant for the zodiac, is that in the farmer's almanac? I know that the signs come in and out throughout the month but I have no idea how to tell when that is. The moon cycles are on my calendar, no problem.
You can use the farmers almanac,

Jan 04, 2012 Taurus

Jan 05, 2012 Gemini

Jan 06, 2012 Gemini

Jan 07, 2012 Gemini

Jan 08, 2012 Cancer

Jan 09, 2012 Cancer

Jan 10, 2012 Leo

Jan 11, 2012 Leo

Jan 12, 2012 Virgo

Jan 13, 2012 Virgo

Jan 14, 2012 Libra

Jan 15, 2012 Libra

Jan 16, 2012 Libra

Jan 17, 2012 Scorpio

Jan 18, 2012 Scorpio

Jan 19, 2012 Sagittarius

Jan 20, 2012 Sagittarius

Jan 21, 2012 Capricorn

Jan 22, 2012 Capricorn

Jan 23, 2012 Aquarius

Chris

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
oh, btw, in the almanac, the symbols for the zodiac are used instead of the name. there should be a key code in the book for it but it has been a while since i've owned one.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did anyone hear that they have added a new sign for the zodiac, so now there are 13 instead of 12. They have switched the dates from the orginals one. I was born a Taurus but in the new calendar I am a Aries. It is supposed to be for the 2012 Miyan Calendar or something. I don't follow zodiac stuff so I don't know how it works.

Latest posts