Just got mini roses - HELP!

PlantNurse15

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got 3 mini roses yesterday! I have never cared for roses before so I need help. I live in zone 6, temp at night is still around 32 - 35 F, and the day is in the low fifties. Where should I plant them? When should I plant them? What should I use to fertilize? Miracle gro? How often should I water them? How do I care for roses?

Yellow/light pink are mini rose holiday (says on the receipt) and the bigger dark pink one is a rose patriot (says on the receipt)

Thank you!

Attachments

• DSCN8798.jpg
    DSCN8798.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 360
  • DSCN8801.jpg
    DSCN8801.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 367
  • DSCN8800.jpg
    DSCN8800.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 354
  • DSCN8799.jpg
    DSCN8799.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 365
  • DSCN8803.jpg
    DSCN8803.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 374
  • DSCN8802.jpg
    DSCN8802.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 370

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I LOVE mini roses. There are lots tougher than regular roses, certainly easier to care for than tea roses, almost as tough as knock outs.
I would keep them inside and not transplant until June. YOU may get some snow this weekend, although putting your State with your avatar helps to know where you live--I just posted this, which is getting kinda personal about my location.
Give them a fighting chance, and give your soil an opportunity to warm up.
DD's just HAD to transplant their 1 gallon Magnolia Betty last month. I told them 1x to keep it inside the house. It has lost all of it's leaves, and, although we tied the cardboard open box around it for protection, it may be toast. They had order a 2nd one, coming in next week.
It should be warm enough to transplant That one in the same spot. I will take the other one and put it in a planter on my unheated, glassed in east facing porch to give it sun And protection.
If it isn't dead, I will nurse it back to health, and then we can transplant it in the Fall.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind that these roses have been grown in a greenhouse and aren't as hardy...yet...as they can be later after they have acclimated to your area.
Make sure you take the plastic off of them right way. Check they don't get overwatered while in a foil pot cover.
These little potted roses are grown fast, to sell fast for mothers day. I doubt that most of them make it till July 4th. I know you will take good care of them, so your mileage will vary. Miracle grow would be fine. I hope they do well for you.

Latest posts