Just ordered my new canner

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used to do my canning with an antique canner but somehow it got left behind when I moved from Oklahoma. I've been getting by with a Miro but it has been nothing but trouble with leaky gaskets so I ordered an All American canner made in Wisconsin. Metal to metal seal like my old antique one so no more leaking gaskets. It was a little pricy at $199 but if you want quality you have to pay for it. It should outlast me by quite a few years and I'm sure it will be a pleasure to work with. It would have cost me more but Amazon had them on sale.

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What, no link showing a picture of the canner? I don't like dealing with leaky gaskets either.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, we need a picture! My eyes bugged out when I saw the $199 price. Since I've never canned in my life, it's hard for me to imagine spending that kind of money. :rolleyes:

Mary

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Congratulations. I have a canner but I've never used it before. I've only had to use my water bath pot. Maybe this year......

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Yes, we need a picture! My eyes bugged out when I saw the $199 price. Since I've never canned in my life, it's hard for me to imagine spending that kind of money. :rolleyes:

Mary
Take a good look at the picture so you know what it looks like and then keep your eyes open in junk shops and at country auctions. Old ones like this quite often turn up at around $20 or $30 dollars. Inspect it for a crack or beat up place where the two surfaces come together when it is screwed down and make sure the bottom isn't pitted where it stood out in the weather. It will probably be quite stained and have a broken or missing pressure gauge but don't worry about that. They are inexpensive and can be changed in a minute or so.

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, that looks sturdy and incredibly well made, much nicer than my Mirro. I would much rather pay a little more for something that will last for years than to pay less initially, plus the additional amount when an item needs to be replaced.

hoodat--thank you for posting the link for us. I can honestly say that I haven't seen one of those around anywhere. Happy canning!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I also appreiate the fact that it's made right here in the US. I feel as though I am supporting American industry in Wisconsin instead of sending my money to China.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... its so pretty....

so, ummmm.... can we will this little beauty to your dear friend vfem?! :D

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hoodat!

This is so creepy, I just bought the SAME canner, from Amazon, for the SAME price! (plus free two-day shipping because I have amazon prime).

I'll go take a picture of mine and post it up.

Latest posts