Just planted my fruit trees. So far the peach has set fruit. but nothing on the cherry trees.

DGranny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Does anyone know what I should be feeding them and when and how often? Just purchased a 5 acre plot, establishing a chicken flock and looking to purchase small goats for milking and meat and also some rabbits for meat.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Cherry trees take a few years to get big enough to produce fruit. My two Montmorency Cherries were in the ground about 3 years before I saw any fruit, and the birds got the cherries. Last year I harvested enough cherries for about 10 pies. Made a few and canned the rest.
I like to hang damaged CD's to scare away the birds. Non-toxic and good recycling.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup Welcome, DGranny! :welcome We are glad to have you growing with us. Ditto with @ducks4you. It is rare that newly planted fruit trees -- whose first purpose is to establish a strong root system -- will product fruit. If you have dwarf trees you may have some fruiting next year, but most trees will take a few years before producing.

Congrats on getting that acreage! May you grow and prosper on you new land.:love

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG!!! You will like it here, we will be glad to help you any way we can. Jump in, ask questions, make comments, post pictures-we are so glad that you are here!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you're supposed to remove the fruit the first year or two. If you don't want to reduce the number of fruit to conserve the energy for growth of the tree.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975, there is a pretty good chance that the fruit will drop early from planting stress. I'd take what I could get. If the fruit grows, I picks it when it's ripe. Of course, I don't strip the flowers off the first year's strawberries either.

Latest posts