Just planted raspberries - what next?

bigbad

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Do I need to prune it at all?

I've seen one video where the gardener just pruned it down to 2 inches height... but I'm not sure whether that's gonna work for me. I live in Los Angeles, where the weather is a bit different, and I don't wanna mistime any pruning and ruin optimal harvest.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do not prune yet. Wait until this fall or winter.

It depends on what kind of raspberry you planted. There are two different ways depending on what type you planted. And if you got the everbearing type, you have two different choices with them. This site talks about it and should help with the basics.

http://gardening.about.com/od/berries/a/Prune_Raspberry.htm

If you got the summer-bearing type, they bear on year old canes. You remove any canes that bore fruit the past season, plus thin as you need to.

If you got the everbearing type, they produce their main crop on first year canes in the fall, but will bear a small crop early the next year on those same canes. If you want a larger fall crop, whack them all down every year. Or you can leave the 1 year old canes and get some to munch on earlier the next year, but that means the fall crop is reduced.

Latest posts