Just started flowers question

JenniferJoIN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I planted Asters, Zinnias, and Snapdragons inside b/c the packages said they could be started early indoors.

They have all started growing and the Zinnias are very stemmy and about 3 inches in height.

Is this how flowers grow, or did I mess something up?

ozark hen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When I brought my rosemary in the house last fall and put it in my kitchen window...little did I know that the zinnias I had planted around the whole garden would store some seeds at the feet of the rosemary. I had/have zennias blooming in my kitchen window for over a month now and they practically reach the ceiling. Good soil you have there.

red-hen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I haven't done zinnias indoors - only out - but I do lots of other seeds indoors. To me, it sounds like they're reaching for more light than they are getting. They tend to get weedy looking then. Zinnias are awfully tough and they'll probably right themselves when they can finally get outdoors - but if you want to help them now, try to get them more light. More hours per day, and more in intensity. For example ... a northern window (especially in northern latitudes like where I live) doesn't give very much light for plant growth (except shade loving houseplants). Eastern windows are pretty good - but I still don't get enough light even from those. West facing windows get more light yet. And south gets the absolute most.

I can get away with using south windows because the sun is still low in the sky at this time of year, and I'm partially blocked by a leafless tree ... but you might have to play around with weather west or south is best for you depending on how strong the sun is where you live at this time of year.

Hope that makes some sense.

If you can't get more window light - add a fluorescent light bulb over the plants. I just go buy a regular full spectrum / sunlight type bulb for lighting at walmart and screw it into a cheapy task / clamp light. It will give fine light for growing - no need to spend extra on bulbs made for plants specifically. :)

When they get a little bigger you might need to transplant them and give them a little food. But they sound young for that yet.

JenniferJoIN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yes, Red-Hen that does make sense. Since our little house doesn't have very good sun-access I may have to get a bulb like you suggested. I'm glad I planted hardy little plants so maybe they can pull through!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, if they're jsut in a window, they need much more light, as red-hen says. Until you get a chance to get a shop-lite (which you really need to do *pronto*, as stretching that occurs early in the plant's life can give it a permanently dysfunctional growth-form), tape paper towels to the window to sandwich the plants between the windowglass and the papertowels. or if you have white curtains, just draw the curtains behind the plants. The idea is to bounce back the light that would otherwise get 'lost' in the room.

When you get a shop-light, hang it so that it is only a couple inches (seriously, like 2") above the tops of the plants.

Good luck,

Pat

Latest posts