Just started some seeds - seed saving success!!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just started some tomato seeds that I'd saved from my plants last year. This is my first attempt at saving seeds, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they sprout. If they don't, I also bought more from Baker Creek. They have too many cool varieties to pass up.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonderful! I still have a couple months before I can start mine...I did plant a few herbs, inside. Planting something always makes me feel better!! Those seed catalogs are really intoxicating, aren't they?? Think spring!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm actually wayyy early to be starting stuff, but I figure I can always plant the tomatoes deep if they get leggy. This is how I combat the winter blues.

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh I agree! The seed catalogs are intoxicating and inspiring. :celebrate And we have way too much snow and cold here, so it my favorite distraction. I've decided to start planting also, even though it's rather early. I need lots of milkweed for monarch butterflies, so i might as well get started now...I could order several new varieties of milkweed also....:watering

kimnkell

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm in zone 6 (KY) wonder what I could start planting inside right now? I guess I could start some herbs....

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
I'm actually wayyy early to be starting stuff, but I figure I can always plant the tomatoes deep if they get leggy. This is how I combat the winter blues.
I did that one year when I didn't know better. I had to use a post hole auger to plant the tomatoes. :ep I lived in Saskatchewan and had clayish soil. I was laughed at until I had the best crop of tomatoes of anyone around. :gig They rooted all down the stems so got mega nutrients, etc. :clap They were very hard to pull out in the fall though. :idunno

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh wow... I have not started a thing. My husband is kind of sick of me using the house as a greenhouse. I will however do my tomatoes inside... I will not spend the money on that, and they don't start well outside. If I can just get away with started like 10 plants total, I'll be happy. There won't be 60+ plants in the house this year.

I just hope he doesn't count the few cuttings I started back in the fall.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used a clear plastic crisper drawer from an old refrigerator, used seed starter soil, and compost, divided a garlic head that I got at the grocery store, planted and sealed the drawer with saran wrap.. could not believe my eyes, I have green garlic tops.. they popped up in less than a week. I actually got 21 starts from one garlic bulb.. will enjoy the green tops till early spring, then hope I can set them in an outside section of the garden. So far so good, hope the last stage(moving outside) works as well as the first part.
I would not have thought of using a store garlic bulb for this project if I had not found this site..what fun!!:weee

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm set to buy a few more seeds and then I'll be planting several different types of milkweed. I'm going to need a lot for the monarchs. :happy_flower

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started 60 tomatoe seeds in my biodome on Xmas day. but then i got really sick and my beautiful princess knocked them down when i wasnt watching her. :( It totally wasnt her fault but mine. But that is why i have been gone. sickness and loss sucks.

on a bright note the biodome worked great! i had good germination and i love the individualness on the seed starting method. they were growing beautiful. I planted a bunch more this weekend but wont have the variety i originally planned on :/ and no cherrys. i figure i can pick up a sweet million or two at the nursery.

but then i accidentally drilled through my hand with a power drill :he trying to add drainage to some wintersown containers. that hurt. so i wont be doing any major gardening for a while. :/. Which really sucks because i need to prep my beds for my spring season.

Latest posts