Just Yesterday

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... in 315AD, the Arch of Constantine was dedicated in Rome.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_of_Constantine

1401px-Arch.of.constantine.threequarter.view.arp.jpg

July 25, 315, 1700 years standing.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is supposed to be unusual since part of it is made from parts of other buildings. Why, is not known.

Constantine was unusual, also. Not only did he reunite the eastern and western parts of the empire but he required a tolerance of Christianity.

His influence lasted for centuries.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those ancient structures fill me with awe. Around here, a building is "obsolete" and needs to be torn down if it was built 50 years ago. How cool would it be to live in a house that was 500 or so years old?
I know, I know, out of plumb floors and bad plumbing and wiring, but the ambiance would be a wonderful trade off!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, so lucky, in our throw-away society I have always been amazed at buildings that are still used centuries after being built. I believe I was born in the wrong century.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Hi Steve, It became more than tolerance, the tolerance was to other faiths, Saint Helen was Constantine's mother. She, Saint Helen, located the seplechre of Christ and the true cross and had it set up on calvary, all land in the mideast was Christian. It was durning the reigh of Constanine that Saint Nicholas was Bishop.
From that time and to this day the care of the seplechre is devided between the Greek, Armenian and Roman church.

Richard