Kale, what would you do?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a bunch of kale ready to cut.
It is right next to purple cabbage.
I found cabbage worms on the kale.
I am short of room.
Would it be best to cut all the kale and pull the plants and then plant kale in a different spot for fall?
Use that spot for beets or spinach.
Or, if I take most of the leaves and leave the kale plant will they grow enough leaves back to make it worth keeping them in that spot?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I'd spray the kale and cabbage a couple of times over the next few weeks with either Bt or Spinosad, or both.

I'm not sure how well kale can start from seed right now, @Gardening with Rabbits . It might be okay but we will be into hot weather sometime soon ... it says here somewhere ...

If the plants have nice leaves and a stem bigger than your thumb and you don't want to spray, I imagine that replacement leaves would come right back no matter how many you take off.

Putting some fertilizer down around naked stems and hilling up with soil would help with a speedy recovery.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kale? Feed it to rabbits and hope they don't die. ;)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, those cabbage worms on kale. I get them too, got some right now, the green loopers. That's why I grow the flat leaf kale, usually red russian, instead of the frilly, curly leaf kale. I can find the worms and the cocoons a lot easier on the flat leaves. I've sprayed once with Spinosad this season and it seemed to knock them back. I need to do that again but it has been raining a lot.

One trick I've used to get some kale when they get bad is to take every leaf off, just leaving a bud, and feed those leaves to the chickens. Then I spray the plant to kill whatever is there and let them grow. That way I don't spray the leaves I will eat. They haven't grown yet. I can usually get one harvest before the worms get too bad again. After doing this two or three times I just pull the plants.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can cut Kale back pretty hard, and it will survive. The leaves produced in the future are much smaller, but still wonderful eating. I have been picking leaves some from plants started last year, after cutting them back pretty hard. Quite a bit has now started going to seed, so I'll cut it back again and see if I get one more harvest in the fall.

I'd be concerned about the cabbage worms moving in on your cabbage..they can really mess it up..

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soak your kale in salt water with a weight like a plate on top. The cabbage worms will float to the top. Remove them and eat the kale. It may seem gross at first. But I think the things you can't see on crops from the store are worse. Pesticides etc. If you use BT it will rid you of the pest organically.

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ive been using Bt and it works like a charm… but I've been reading that Bt genes have been found in humans related to Bt gmo's .. I wonder if these genes get into humans with just using regular Bt

Latest posts