Kale Woes

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We're trying to get our kale started indoors, and the seedlings are looking sad, to say the least. Is it better to seed kale directly into the ground? Does anyone else have experiences, good or bad, with kale starts? We think maybe the roots are too damp... :( Kale is my favorite smoothie addition, so it'd be great if we could start it successfully! :barnie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smoothie addition? You guys :rolleyes:!

I find it remarkable that I even like kale given the wide choice of tender Asian veggies that I grow! Still, I've always liked kale.

However, it has always had an indoor start before being set out in my garden, that I can remember. It doesn't seem as tho' this would really be essential. Kale does grow quite slowly and must appreciate extra time before I show up to break leaves off the plant.

My kale was set out about 2 weeks ago and been thru a couple of frosts. I think that your indoor conditions would be an advantage to growth but don't be afraid to set out tiny plants. Like most of its close cousins, kale doesn't mind transplanting.

Steve
edited to change "necessary" to "essential". in other words, i bet you would be fine direct-seeding kale there in northeast wa.

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey, green smoothies are healthy and delicious, provided you don't overdo it with mustard greens or arugula or something equally spicy/bitter. :sick

I think we'll try letting them dry out a bit, and see if that's the problem before putting them in the ground. They look pretty sad, and it's been pouring buckets for the past day or so...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, there's no chance of me putting arugula in a smoothie . . .

I might be able to handle a radish . . . kof!

Steve :/

Latest posts