Keeping those organic fruits bug free

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I read a fabulous snippet (a tiny blurb in a magazine, from someone leaving a comment they published... not an article) and the lady mentioned how the magazine had published people suggesting to use ziplock baggies to put over their fruit to keep bugs off, and not having to spray. However, quite simply there was BAD air circulation and ripening and bad spots were still a problem.

Luckily, she ran into a organic orchardist (or whatever they are called) who helps people change over to less spray methods on small scale and large scale... he told here the zip bag idea was good, just take it up a notch to GREAT by making her own bags out of row cover instead.

So that's what we're doing, making 6"-8" draw string bags out of row cover material to put over our fruits. The 8" bags will be for clustered fruits I may come across and only thin slightly. This will allow good air flow, drainage and sun exposure while keeping fruit bug free.

14084_img_6536.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds interesting vfem!:clap I actually in the past did something similar, I covered these little lemons on my lemon tree with cheesecloth so the squirrels wouldn't get them. You'll have to make a lot though, I guess if you start now come spring you'll have enough to use.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I look at it this way, this year I have 3 peaches, and I want to sell them as organic... so I have to see how well they produce.

These wonderful babies are quick to make, reusable and washable!

I'm actually quite impressed with how strong they are too.

Secondly, if you have a larger tree you may want to do your fruit by cluster, and even make bags 10" of bigger. That way you get like 5-6 fruits per bag rather then just 1.

This year I am HOPING my 3 year old semi-dwarf apples will be producing so I can cover those. My Peaches are standard size, and my pears are standard size. I'm planning on only covering the lowest branches I want to reach for eating fruit. It I lose some to the squirrels and the bugs its ok, some will probably only 'look' bad and I'll use those for baking, freezing ect.

You get a LOT of row cover for pretty inexpensive if you just buy a large piece. I used terrestrial seed to buy mine last year, and I have tons of it.

Only takes me about 5 minutes to make 5 of these. So 1 minute a bag. Then I have 3-4 people to help me in the spring after the blooms fall and start turning into fruit so I can cover them.

I think its worth it, even if I only get a couple bushels of fruit of it in great condition.

Plus, its a learning experience. I may make changes next year.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love this! Fruit is something I'm getting into this year. We are considering planting fruit trees on 1/4 acre in the rockier area of the farm. Everyone loves fruit, but doing it organic is work! I feel like this is a great technique! Mind if I pass on the knowledge?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Super idea- and nice work! At what point are you going to tie them on?
Not until all the blossom have pollinated and fallen and begin to become fruit. So very tiny and young!

April Manier, go right ahead. I was not my idea, I read it in a magazine and just ran with it. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw the same little snippet (it was in MEN) and I thought what a great idea it was. Happy to see you putting it to use vfem, let us know how it goes. I won't be needing anything like that for another year or so, but I'm going to remember it. Thanks for the pic too, I tend to be visual so that helps me remember even better! :)

Latest posts