Ketchup is a Vegetable: The Revenge

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:th just when I thought the goobernment couldn't surprise me.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
in a nutrition class i took a few years ago we had been told that pizza is a relatively healthy food if you take it into moderation like any other food. plus it gives you the different food groups-cereal/grains, veggies if you add more than just the sauce, protein if you add some meat, and dairy with the 'real' cheese instead of the wood pulp stuff they call cheese! if you choose to eat pizza look for the thinner crust types since they are not carb/bread loaded like the deep dish or bake and rise types.

maybe they should sell veggie loaded slices of pizza to offset that rule and you won't have to put the veggies on the side to make the pizza soggy! :lol:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is no wonder we have an obesity problem in our children! French fries, everyday?? I bet I don't eat 4 french fries a year! I wouldn't say ketchup is bad for you- but I sure wouldn't count it as a veggie!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
It is no wonder we have an obesity problem in our children! French fries, everyday?? I bet I don't eat 4 french fries a year! I wouldn't say ketchup is bad for you- but I sure wouldn't count it as a veggie!
Lesa, thankfully things are changing in our school district. I have delivered and served school lunches to an elelmntary school for 22 years. This year they are offered 2 choices of fruit and two of vegtable. Most often fresh fruits and vegtables. All breads are whole grain. We have not seen french fries on the menu yet and we are 2 months into the school year. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Hey! Don't be picking on french fries! ;) At least my "french fries" :) . I use the big julienne setting on my mandoline, toss them with a bit of grapeseed oil, season with a shake of salt and chili pepper and bake them in a hot oven until they're nice and brown.
We love them with a burger and a Thomas Kemper ginger ale.

Did I mention they were home grown too?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those sound wonderful, thistle!! I am pretty sure the fries they are serving in school lunches wouldn't quite live up to those standards! Carol Dee, glad things are looking healthier in your school- hopefully that won't change with this silly government letting big business make food choices!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some schools even make a deal with the devil and farm out school lunches to outfits like McDonalds because the school gets a kickback to add to their budget.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yes ketchup is a vegetable!!! but I would think you'd need to eat an awful lot of it to get any nutrition from it...