Kids and health issues

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Back in March manure was added to DD's box. It is supposed to be a year old and probably is. I told my SIL to put it on the bottom and the dirt from his other boxes last year on top, but he did not do that. He did not understand but it was pretty much on top and mixed some.

A few days later the 3-year-old got diarrhea. She has been potty trained and had to go back in pull ups because could not make it to the bathroom. After a week or so of this she took her to the doctor and said basically nothing wrong and watch and then another week or so she demanded tests and she was sent home with tests things and DD had to collect diarrhea stool and I am not sure she did it correctly. I read there are false positives and has to do with refrigeration but everything came back normal except C. diff and something about it was not bad or the doctor said he was happy it was not something, I am not sure. Doctor said to give probiotics and take off dairy.

I looked all this up and she never was sick, no pain, no fever and nobody else has anything and she has never had antibiotics in her life or been in the hospital. Then, a few weeks later Izzy started having loose stools, but not watery and Evelyn went back to mostly normal. Now, both are pretty much normal, Evelyn still loose some. They get no dairy, no raw vegetables, no junk food, no bread and not sure but DD believes she has it and worried about the baby going to be born.

Either Evelyn has it and Izzy does not or both some really light case, or they are off dairy which they had all their lives, so I do not see just one day dairy caused this or probiotics are rebuilding their guts and they had something else.

They were exposed to chickens at the other grandmother's house. They were exposed to the garden manure. They never go to public restrooms. They never had antibiotics. They have not been around sick people. They never were sick. No throwing up, no pain, no fever only diarrhea for Evelyn and then just soft stools for both.

Has anybody had toddlers have C. diff? Does this sound like C. diff? Have you had toddlers get diarrhea for weeks? Would it be needing probiotics all along have caused it?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
without knowing all the foods that the children have been exposed to it would be very hard to pin it on to the garden manure, but sure it could be the source. without testing that soil you're just guessing, an educated guess but ...

c.diff is so aptly named.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
without knowing all the foods that the children have been exposed to it would be very hard to pin it on to the garden manure, but sure it could be the source. without testing that soil you're just guessing, an educated guess but ...

c.diff is so aptly named.
I just think they need probiotics and maybe had a virus or something. The doctor does not seem to be worried and they just do not have enough symptoms to be c. diff other than only the oldest who had watery diarrhea for just a short period of time. They both seem back to normal pretty much other than they have not started back on dairy and a few other things. I think DD is worried for nothing. The manure is from an organic farm and sell it to a lot of people and I have it in my yard too. DD and her husband handled it and of course would not be as careless as the kids, but farm kids collect eggs from chickens and touch all kinds of animals and dirt.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just think they need probiotics and maybe had a virus or something. The doctor does not seem to be worried and they just do not have enough symptoms to be c. diff other than only the oldest who had watery diarrhea for just a short period of time. They both seem back to normal pretty much other than they have not started back on dairy and a few other things. I think DD is worried for nothing. The manure is from an organic farm and sell it to a lot of people and I have it in my yard too. DD and her husband handled it and of course would not be as careless as the kids, but farm kids collect eggs from chickens and touch all kinds of animals and dirt.

i hope it works itself out soon! :)

Latest posts