Kids Garden Class 2017

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last Thursday was our first official Kids Garden Class. We have met twice this spring, once for seed starting and once for a cleanup, but this class included everything. Journals, "lecture", Big Fat Word Of The Day, planting and of course, how could I ever forget, popsicles!

Our BFWOTD was Beneficial and for a demonstration I passed around apple tree leaves that were curling with aphids.
Girls= :sick
Boys="hey! you can finger paint with them! (while squishing them on the table).

20170615_095859.jpg

Then we discussed ladybugs and how they benefit us by eating aphids and other damaging insects.
We released two bags of ladybugs into two aphidy apple trees. It wasn't done correctly of course, but for the purpose of the kids observing it did what I wanted. Personally, I have never had much luck with seeing the ladybugs the day after, even when I release in the evening and follow all the tips. But the kids were excited and it makes for a fun visual.

20170615_101032.jpg

We also planted Cafe sweet corn. I decided against pre-prepping the beds for them which were weedy and let them work at that. They did a good job, the corn will come in thick, but all the better for pollination right?

Watering continues to be the favorite garden activity, second only to eating popsicles.

20170615_095502.jpg

Speaking of popsicles, my newest members, 3 siblings, are pretty much fascinated by the thought of getting a popsicle every time they come. Apparently this is something of a novelty to them, mom says they don't often eat them at home. She probably is avoiding all the sugars and artificial everything in them. They must have been worried that I might forget this critical part of garden class, because about every 10 minutes they were asking if it was time for POPSICLES! Haha.

20170615_095624.jpg

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not for MG volunteer hours. Just my own selfish enjoyment of being around the neighbor kids. Getting to see little glimpses of the world through their eyes is like a tonic. They are also endlessly amusing. :)

Do you think you'd be able to share a sylabus of sorts with me? This is something I think would be good for my neighborhood kids. Its a bit late in the year this time around, but I think next year I might enjoy trying it with some of the local kids.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are giving these kids a precious gift that they will have all their lives. You are a outstanding neighbor, friend and teacher to these kids. The time you cheerfully give to these children now could set the course for their careers. Because of you, some might make a career in agriculture. Because of you, some might garden some day, feeding their families delicious vegetables. Because of the way you unselfishly give of yourself, some might open a popsicle factory!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you think you'd be able to share a sylabus of sorts with me? This is something I think would be good for my neighborhood kids. Its a bit late in the year this time around, but I think next year I might enjoy trying it with some of the local kids.

Sure! But I must warn you that I sort of create as we go. Every year I tweak it here and there but I can give you some general ideas. :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure! But I must warn you that I sort of create as we go. Every year I tweak it here and there but I can give you some general ideas. :)

That would be great! I'm sure I'll tweak it too, but a place to start would be great. It never even occurred to me to measure soil temperature, but what an awesome way to demonstrate why planting tomatoes in january is a bad idea!

Latest posts