kitchen repainting

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Finally got the kitchen clean enough to get some pictures for you all of my newly painted and spruced up kitchen. I had a really hard time finding any pictures of BEFORE, apparently I don't have any digital pics of my 1st paint job when we moved in in 2006. I have a partial one, but it doesn't really give you the overall impression of my crazy choice of paint colors. Green, peach, and pink. Yes, seriously. And actually I liked it, but decided to repaint mostly because I didn't do a very good job painting, and didn't prep my surfaces adequately, so the green paint was peeling and looked really splotchy. So...I went with something more traditional this time, with the thought that in case we ever wanted to sell the house, it would be more neutral.

Here's a partial before picture, where I was testing out whether I liked my choice of blue:
8229_073.jpg

Here's the overall finished kitchen, 2 months later.
8229_painted_kitchen_011.jpg

The butcher block countertop (which is actually shop workbench from Costco, there was no counter or cupboards on this side of the kitchen when we bought the house), with the newly added wood backsplash:
8229_painted_kitchen_012.jpg

I didn't put the doors back on the cupboard where our plates and bowls are, first because I like the idea of having the dishware visible, and second because the wood grain on these cupboard doors actually went the opposite of all the other wood grain, it was horizontal! You can't really tell from the pictures, but the grain is slightly visible through the whitewash paint technique I used - many coats of small amounts white paint mixed with polycrylic and some water, then topped with multiple polycrylic coats.
8229_painted_kitchen_013.jpg

8229_painted_kitchen_016.jpg

Close up of the new knobs from Ebay!
8229_painted_kitchen_015.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out! :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks great! I am a big blue fan... every time I paint something, Dh says "another room, blue?" Those knobs are adorable! I like the idea of open cupboards. Kind of airy and shows off your cute stuff... A job well done!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks great :D . Nice use of the space you had. Love the wood counter top and back splashes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
European?

Heather may be there with her artisan cheeses and staples, homemade sweets, and garden-fresh herbs but think about what is outside that kitchen there in western Montana . . !

Ah yes, it would be! Switzerland :cool:.

Heather, it feels good even from a distance!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nicely done Heather! It's very cozy :) . What is the back splash behind the stove? Is it metal? I want something like that behind mine, or tile...and I am married to a tileman... which just means it takes years to get tile work done :rolleyes: .
Actually I'm very grateful, we got rid of the burgundy carpet and now have tile every where but the bedrooms. I love it!

I'm hoping to do some painting this winter, and I'm leaning towards a color similar to your kitchen walls in my kitchen.
I like your open cupboards too.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks all!

Yeah...the washer hookup was in the kitchen so there it is :/ plumbing is the one system in our house that's never been upgraded, so its our constant battle. When we first bought the place, we had urgent issues in the kitchen sink drain that we had to deal with. Actually, the issue was that it was just leaking all over under the house, yowza!! So, we had to hire a plumber because we were in the middle of so many other things. We had to pay him $500 just to go down in our crawl space, its so nasty and horrible!! We need to dig the crawlspace out...someday. Ug. Well now i've posted it on TEG so hopefully...!

Thistle - the panels behind the stove are actually plastic! They're from the home box store, and they're actually kinda spendy, $20 a pop and there are 4 behind the stove. A gift from the MIL. The wall color is now the same in dining room, kitchen and utility room, its called Golden Den.

Latest posts