kiwi vines not growing need help

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have 2 females and one male

they are about 3 years old but were in a pot for the first 2 years even in freezing weather

I finally planted them this year on the south end of the house

The leaves are healthy and green and lush but the vines wont grow for nothing. They are the same length as when I planted them. 6 months ago! They insist on staying about 6 inches from the ground. I have a trellis there but they are still to short to climb

is my soil lacking something to make these vines thrive?

when I planted them I dug a deeeeeeeeep whole and put store bought organic soil then a lil homemade horse poop then planted it and topped it with more homemade horse poop.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since they were in the pots for two years they must have had some pretty compacted root systems.

Did you untangle the roots before planting? It's possible that the roots are just continuing to circle and not growing out into the new ground.

If they were mine, I would dig them up early fall and really cut into those roots. Spread them out good and shorten them. That will encourage fresh root growth and you should see some more aggressive growth next spring.

Oh, and add some bonemeal to your planting hole when you replant. :)

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
that is one thing I failed to do is unscramble the roots

and darnit if I didn't already put the bone meal on everything but the kiwis...that stuff stinks so bad

Latest posts