Kumquat Tree, No Fruit?

Phoenixsylvestris2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
For 2 years now, my kumquat tree has not produced any fruit or flowers, but developes plenty of thorns. Every Winter it loses its leaves and comes back the following spring from the base of the plant(The previous stems die/dry up.)

Is there a way to get my kumquat tree to produce fruit? (another tree? special pruning, fertilizer, soil, anything?). I bought it from Lowes but I do not remember what type it is. Any help will be appreciated. I miss picking them when they ripen(tree at old house produced plenty), I have never gotten fruit off this tree.

Phoenixsylvestris2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
After a quick search I found they are self fertile so that should not be a problem. I read a bit about grafting and I think I may just give it a try on this tree with one that produces fruit. Maybe that will possibly fix it:/

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Im not familiar with kumquat but a couple of things in your post concern me. Since that other kumquat is producing you should have the macro-climate for them.

Why is that plant dying back to the ground every year? Is the micro-climate too cold where that kumquat is planted? Is something else causing it to die back and grow back from the roots each year? Im not sure if it is classified as a tree or a bush, but I dont think it should be doing that. Some fruits dont produce on first year growth. Does that other kumquat die back like that?

Is that a grafted plant? If it has died back and come back from the roots, you dont have the kumquat you bought, just whatever the rootstock is if it is grafted. Grafting that other kumquat on there may be a really good idea.

Phoenixsylvestris2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
Im not familiar with kumquat but a couple of things in your post concern me. Since that other kumquat is producing you should have the macro-climate for them.

Why is that plant dying back to the ground every year? Is the micro-climate too cold where that kumquat is planted? Is something else causing it to die back and grow back from the roots each year? Im not sure if it is classified as a tree or a bush, but I dont think it should be doing that. Some fruits dont produce on first year growth. Does that other kumquat die back like that?

Is that a grafted plant? If it has died back and come back from the roots, you dont have the kumquat you bought, just whatever the rootstock is if it is grafted. Grafting that other kumquat on there may be a really good idea.
For some reason the one that dies back gets frost in the winter and comes back in the spring. I thought that was odd because everything I have read says kumquats are more cold hardy than other citrus, and the other one I have keeps its leaves all winter. It had fruit on it when it was bought but not now. After more searches on grafting, I believe the original kumquat part died on this one and now I have the rootstock growing.

Here's a photo of the stems and new growth on the one I have trouble with in the winter:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got a pear tree that died back and I've got the rootstock now. I'm planning on a serious grafting program this year. At least the rootstock is well established. Good luck with yours.

Latest posts