Lab/Great Dane Puppy!!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have been keeping our little granddaughters this week. The 2 year old loves to play with Carson. He is figuring out how to play with her. We had to watch him closely to make sure he didn’t swat her with a big paw or chew on her like a dog toy. Last night they played sock. She ran from him, shrieking and he galloped after her. He bit up and down the sock, and dragged her around. She fell down, got back up and the game resumed.

54ef5c52-a0a7-4b57-ad82-b6625bd800d9-jpeg.9432

693789c7-2569-4e66-bcd3-f41e843d4ef3-jpeg.9433

1f2c56a1-a8b9-4c9a-acbe-dcf1429e03a4-jpeg.9434

She likes to sit and lay on him. Carson likes that game too.

9982b4ee-942b-4681-8e29-caaae0102434-jpeg.9435

2ff1e225-6e33-4b4e-a841-8de918a871b3-jpeg.9436

double trouble and double the fun ;)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carson has a new trick. He catches birds and eats them. How he is fast enough to catch birds, I don't know, but he does. he even leaps up in the air to catch them. At least he knows the chickens are off limits. They wouldn't stand a chance up against him.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a smart dog. My wife has mentioned one she had as a kid, he would jump where they were going to be, not where they were. Like Carson, he grabbed them out of the air. She said that was the smartest dog they ever had.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow.. Wonder if he at first thought they were a toy - like a ball to catch?

One of my dogs used to chase the SHADOW of circling vultures and when he got to the fence he would look up and bark at them. I always wondered how he made the doggy-logic leap between the shadow on the ground and the bird 100' in the air.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Eva update:
Eva is now 11mo. First dog that wasn't spayed at 4mo, so we lived through a heat cycle w/OUT getting any puppies!!!! :weee
She was spayed on Wednesday and now cannot go racing around for the next 2 weeks. The sutures will need to be removed. The Vet techs kept going on about how sweet she is, like a GS can't be so. I was proud.
Eva was REALLY upset, whining and listless until we got home. NOW, her crate is a Great place to be. Left it open and she would put herself away off and on yesterday.
Here is her microchip tag.
Eva's microship tag, 05-11-19.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a great story for y'all. Carson has been coming into his own, growing up and becoming a good farm dog. When he was younger, the other dogs would bark and run towards danger, Carson would bark over his shoulder as he ran towards the house. Gradually he gained confidence and joined Paris and Trip running up and down the fence line barking at trucks and other elements of danger.

We went out of town for Christmas, we left Christmas eve morning and came back the day after Christmas. Our neighbor Robert was taking care of the animals. At 8:30 Christmas Eve, Neighbor Jimmy called me and said that our dogs were going nuts, he walked over to the fence, didn't see anything. His home and 2 acres backs up to our fence. I thanked him for watching out for us while we were gone. I called Neighbor Ron and asked if his dogs were barking and upset. He said no, and promised to watch out for us while we were gone. Around 10 that night, Neighbor Robert heard our dogs raising a ruckus and drove over to our house. All the dogs were upset, but he didn't see anything. He told me this the next day, Christmas. Sentry the puppy was in Pasture #1 and could go in a section of the barn. Trip and Paris had the run of the back yard, side pasture and could go up to the back of the sheep barn. Carson had the run of the front yard, about an acre, fenced. Even though none of the dogs were in the barn with the sheep, they were on all sides of the barn.

Neighbor Ron called Christmas morning to tell me that at 1:00 AM our dogs were barking like mad, so he got up and drove up to our gate and walked inside. Carson had bayed a bobcat up against the stock trailer! As Ron walked up the driveway, Carson turned his head towards Ron and the bobcat took off. We had a one week old lamb that would have made the bobcat a nice meal. Ron looked around to make sure that everything was ok. He said that Carson acted like he didn't want him on our property (and normally they are friends) so he kept his distance while he checked things out, then left.

So it seems the bobcat was on our place the first time the dogs made a lot of noise, when Jimmy walked to the fence, the bobcat ran off. Likewise when Robert came over to see what was wrong, the bobcat saw him and left. When Ron came over, Carson had the bobcat bayed and Ron saw it.

We are grateful to our good neighbors for looking out for us while we were gone. We are proud of our dogs for keeping the bobcat away from the sheep. We are impressed beyond words with Carson and how he patrolled the yard and stopped the bobcat. Our puppy has grown up. He ain't a scaredy baby any more!

@seedcorn

Latest posts