labyrinth, anyone?

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Who has designed their flower, or other, garden as a labyrinth? Any pics.? If I ever have a plant nursery I might set it up that way as an attractant. No one can leave until they see it all... I'll invite Jack Nicholson to the opening.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Better yet....invite David Bowie.....King of the Goblins
6615_mv5bmte5otawmjg2mv5bml5banbnxkftztywmty5oda3__v1__cr760332332_ss80_.jpg

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oooooo I would love to, but they take years and years to get really nice looking, I was thinking about it a couple of years ago - using Boxwood, but its just too much work right now.

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm sure it would be a long ongoing project, but if you just started with the idea of a path set in a spiral with whatever you have around the edges... And some escape routes for emergencies... Seems I remember some article about meditation labyrinths that people travel to in order to use for relaxation or such. Don't really remember those even having noticeable plants or shrubs..maybe more of just a mandala like thing. Don't remember location...any one been to one? And I think there are corn mazes...Oh, if I open my nursery, Jack Nicholson won't come, but I bet they make J. Nicholson costumes, and Edward Scissorhand ones, too... Wouldn't that be cool?...Just dreaming here.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought my sister a book about mazes last Christmas, and of course had to read it first :p It had a lot of REALLY good, diverse, ideas for constructing outdoor mazes. Great variety of ideas, both regarding materials and regarding maze type/design. I highly recommend trying to find it via google or amazon and then seeing if you can get it at your local bookstore or library or whatever. Great 'idea book'!

I've mown simple mazes into the tall meadowgrass and goldenrods, here, for the kids... and stomped mazes into the snow for them, too (which is fun!)... but an actual permanent garden maze just sounds like way too much expense and work for me. Even if you do it 'on the cheap' with willow twigs rooting into the ground, or some such thing, the amount of material required (and the amount of labor, not just to set it up but to maintain it) adds up real real fast.

What I *do* intend to do this year, though, is sink some paver bricks flush with the ground in the lawn, near their play stuff, in the pattern of a simple maze. The idea is they can follow it and play games with it, but the lawnmower will pass right over it. If we had an upstairs, it'd look nice from an upstairs window too :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
elf said:
Who has designed their flower, or other, garden as a labyrinth? Any pics.? If I ever have a plant nursery I might set it up that way as an attractant. No one can leave until they see it all... I'll invite Jack Nicholson to the opening.
That is so funny! I actually had this thought not too long ago. Tried to convince hubby of something similar, but all he can say is he wants his lawn, I promised him some lawn to mow!

I will win this battle... oh I will win it!!!

But if I think of it this year, I will get photos.... we do have a corn maze around halloween right up the hwy from us. Its very large, and its very popular.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Who needs a maze, I already spend a lot of my time going around in circles. :weee Ive got chickens. :woot

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why are you circling those chickens, Ladyhawk?

An herb knot garden may be a good compromise and fun.

I once had a neighbor who put in a large knot garden. She said that she was raised as a "military brat" and her husband may have been ex-military also. He had something of a military bearing altho' he managed a pharmacy.

I always think of them on Memorial Day . . .

They must have had a tradition of planting a garden on this holiday. One year, it was pouring rain all day! They had 5 kids and all 7 of them were out there the entire day - rototillers churning in the mud, baskets of weeds being carried out, hoes flying, seeds sprinkling . . . . Except for harvest forays, the garden seemed to be largely ignored thru the rest of the season.

Anyway, the knot garden was large and carefully laid out. I'm sure there were blueprints and had seen the lady out with a large sheet of paper a few days before.

I was afraid to set my clumsy feet in there :/! But, I very nearly said, "It looks as tho' you could have just walked about on the freshly turned soil and then 'plunked' down flagstones over the footprints; planting herbs between the stones."

The knot garden is a thing of the past in that yard altho' there's often the scene of a lot of activity when I drive by. The line of azaleas along the roadway and the circle driveway is about all that is left of their landscaping when I was nextdoor, 6 or 8 years ago.

Steve

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Why are you circling those chickens, Ladyhawk?

Steve
Cuz she's a hawk, Steve.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!"
Don't remember where that came from, but it describes my flock. Anyone know where that quote is from?

The knot garden sounds like more of what I was trying to think of. Now I remember, I have a book, Southern Herb Growing, I think, buried in the move somewhere, that has great photos of those. Great book!

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
Tried to convince hubby of something similar, but all he can say is he wants his lawn, I promised him some lawn to mow!

I will win this battle... oh I will win it!!!.
What is it with men and the lawnmowing and barbequeing thing? Do you think it's genetic? No offense, guys...I'm glad you enjoy it.

Latest posts